advertisement

Suggests for a celiac newbie

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by Joretta, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Unfortunately, we are learning how hard being gluten freeis as we just started. I would like any imput others could share to help keep a 16 year old safe in school and sports being gluten free. I am not sure what I am looking for exactly, but some advice on a protein you use to sabalize after a low at school is a start. She hates carrying food and I use to put cheese crackers with her teachers. Also any ready made brands you have found works well. We have a bread she loves, Udi but that's it so far.

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

try the Lara bars. They are made from fruit & nuts...so have carbs but also protein. They have different flavors....dani really likes the "Cashew Cookie" and "Peanut butter Cookie" flavors. They also have one called "apple pie"

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

My best friend is celiac and she love either luna bars or cliff bars.... I forget which one it is that has lots of gluten free flavors...

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

we got a new one to try...called "rise" breakfast bar. 6g protein, 18g carb. made from pumpkin seeds, honey, dates, raisins, apricots, cranberries, amaranth, crisp rice. They had a couple different varieties. I bought them at Sprouts. We are figuring these will be nice to keep in the purse/bag for tennis or ballet, or to eat right before. Also...trail mix is good. Nuts with dry fruit...even the one with m&m's would be ok.

I think at 16, she needs to get over not wanting to carry food. There are not always going to be vending machines around. There are some good stories in "Sweet Kids" about having to eat a moldy sandwich that may be helpful.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Thanks, for the advice I will look for all your suggestion. We are working on the carrying of food. After all, she will have to carry lunch. She was just spoiled because I teach and she didn't have to in middle school since I was there and was monitoring her right after diagnoses.