- advertisement -

Suggestions please, local newspaper interviewing us Wednesday!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Nov 16, 2009.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

Recently in our area we have become part of a support group for kids with type 1 diabetes. At our last meeting we thought it would be a good idea to contact our local paper and ask them to possibly do a story for Diabetes Awareness month. We thought it would also be a great way to get the word out about our group. I sent an email out a little over a week ago and this morning I got a call that they would like to come and interview our family on Wednesday evening. I want to make sure that we tell all the important facts about type 1. Please let me know if you have anything that is a must or if there is a place where I could print out some quick facts about type 1.

It's greatly appreciated!!

Wish us luck :cwds:

2. spamid

spamid Approved members

I would focus on misconceptions, my must haves would include:

1) you don't get type 1 from eating too much sugar, or an "unhealthy" diet

2) autoimmune disease

3) you won't grow out of it

4) insulin does not come in a pill

5) the pump does not do everything automatically

6) you can eat anything, as long as its covered by insulin

7) control is a four letter word

I'm sure there are lots of things I have missed. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

3. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

4. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Either ask for or, require, copy approval on condition of interviewing.

I've been interviewed a few times, and frequently they will get all the facts right but paint the wrong picture. Reporters like to preconceive an "angle" for the story, and sometimes the angle is not in your best interest.

5. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

What a great idea for an article...I think I"ll pitch this to our local free weekly.