- advertisement -

Suggestions on sites for 4 year old???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michelleissweet, Sep 23, 2008.

1. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Okay you may be aware Aaron is going through trial pump process. We have changed two sites with Inset 30. Well Aaron is thin not much meat on him. I mean he is not boney he just does not have alot of pinch an inch as some would say. So thus far we have used each butt cheek for site. Where do you position sites at? Can we do back of arm, inner thigh etc.? :confused: I'm not ready to do his tummy but if i had to i could. :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

2. shekov

shekov Approved members

We only use her bum right now. We just try to rotate around her little butt. We try to avoid putting them where she'll bump them a lot or sit on them since that hurts.

She wants to try her leg but I'm nervous about it since she's SO thin. We tried tummy once, it hurt, cannula bent, now she won't let us NEAR her belly to try again.

I'm interested what advice others have for you!!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We used bottom only until we started the CGMS. Now he wears the CGMS on his bum and pump sites go on his tummy. I'd like to try arm, but I think the tubing might annoy him if it ran all the way down his shirt. I don't know.

4. michelleissweet

Thats what i am thinking if we do the back of the arm the tubing would have to go down shirt then the tubing may not be long enough to drop his pants to go to rest room. I am so afraid to do a site on his tummy right now so i guess i better stick with his buttocks!!

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We only use the tush right now. Not enough fat anywhere else.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

we have only used the butt. He has no other place where we can do a site. I'm trying my best to fatten him up!!

7. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

Haley has been on the pump for over 2 years, she is 4 also and fairly skinny with little to pinch. We used her bum for 2 years and couldnt use it much any more due to scarring. We started using and new set and started using her tummy every other change. She just said it was okay to do as of resent. She still hates it and screams. We tried the leg once it was really uncomfortable. Arm I havent done cause they are so small.

8. michelleissweet

What set are you using? Thus far we are using the Inset 30 he is okay with it on his buttocks.

9. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

Thanks to others posting pics my son said that he could use his arm and we have with much success. For two years before that we used bottom only and are now loving being able to have the option of alternate real estate. With stomach we had very little success (all muscle there!) and he has been reluctant to try his legs.

Tubing running through his shirt has not been an issue at all - we don't even worry about tucking it in like when we use the bottom.

10. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We used Butt/hip area for 2 yrs from when Rachel was 4. We have just started using her stick like arms and she loves them. I find that the tubing is more out of the way with arms than butt. We use 50cm tubing.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

A good trick I was taught when Maddie started pumping is have the child sit on a chair with a bare tush and look at your real estate. See where the areas are that are not being sat on and are fleshy. Obviously below the belt/hip line and you will see the best areas to use ;)
    BTW, Maddie's been pumping 3 years and only uses her backside, we rotate and have not had issues with infection or scar tissue.
    Hope that helps.:cwds:

12. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Riley is 6 and has been pumping since she was 4. When we started we only used her bottom, but for the past year or so her arms have been her preference. We use regular insets (6 mm). We tried the 30's and didn't like them much - didn't get a full 3 days and left icky marks. She isn't bothered by the tubing on her arm, even when wearing a tank top (we will usually tape it near her shoulder/arm pit area if she wears a tank top). We have tried a couple tummy sites, but she just doesn't have enough fat there yet. Good luck!

13. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

T is 3 and we rotate between her thighs, upper arms and behind. We tried the tummy once--result was a kinked cannula. I just don't think she has enough "real estate" on her tummy.

14. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

We tried his thighs over the summer..but it wasn't worth the fight. We are back to his behind. Which is where we started when he was DX'ed and started pumping at 4. Hes really skinny to.

15. cassie

cassie Approved members

This is one of the reasons we aren't pumping.

16. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

Not quite sure what you are getting at??

17. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

the tummy is actually a good spot. but i usually do my upper butt cheek or on my back hip.

i like the leg too. like on the thigh.
    the little girls i babysit do their butts and stomachs and they're pretty tiny themselves.
    i've never heard any complaints.

18. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

So far we are only successful with the bumm. We just rotate as much as possible.

19. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Abby is almost 8 years old and is only 50 pounds. You wouldn't think you could do an arm site, with the little sticks she has for arms, but it works great for us.
    I highly suggest it for those thinking about it. Try to go more towards the back of the arm than the flat part that you see looking from the side. It's her preferred place, and less stinging according to her. I've tried it, and I agree.

20. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

She was on the quick set but up until about 2 months ago she is on the silouhette which hurt more but work awesome.