- advertisement -

Suggestions on how to get insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by TinkFreak117, Apr 14, 2008.

  1. TinkFreak117

    TinkFreak117 New Member

    Mar 3, 2008
    Ok I really need some suggestions. I am currently living at home with my parents but I would like to move out onto my own. Living at home is not the best situation for me right now with my diabetes. I am currently 18 years old and about to finish high school. I am covered under my parents insurance. My parents have always held over my head that I cannot move out because I cannot afford insurance. Does any one know a way to get insurance not through your job that would cover my diabetes supplies and what not. I am currently on the omni pod so if they covered that it would be great. I know I am going to have to pay a good chunk of money, but an idea of how much would be great! I am currently working as a waitress making a good deal of money, but I don't have any insurance through my job. Thank you in advance to any help!!

  2. Terise

    Terise New Member

    Apr 18, 2008
    Health insurance for young adults

    I'm a newbie here, but have a 19yo son with type 1 and we've discussed the insurance issue plenty of times. It's going to be very, very hard and VERY expensive for you to find coverage on your own without getting it through an employer. I think you would find it next to impossible to pay the monthly premiums, co-pays and deductibles (which could be as high as $12,000 a year or more for an individual policy) on a waitresses salary, even if you could find an insurer that would cover your pre-existing condition.

    I think your parents just want you to realize all the costs associated with living on your own. Have you ever sat down with them and figured out on paper what your expenses would look like....rent, food, transportation, clothing, utilities....those alone are expensive enough for a young adult just starting out. But add health insurance, especially an individual plan and not a group/employee plan, and the costs become astronomical!

    Is life at home that bad that you feel you must move out? Is college an option? Would your parent's policy cover you while you're a full-time student? You'll have to weigh all the pros and cons, and certainly being covered under your parent's policy in a huge benefit.

    If you must move out, and your income is below a certain level, most state Medicaid plans will cover you until age 21. Also, diabetes is one of the health conditions covered by CSHCS (Children's Special Heath Care Services). This also ends at age 21 but does not go by income.

    My son is living at home, attends community college full-time and works part-time. I am self-employed, work 50-60 hours a week, and still cannot afford health insurance for either myself or my son. When he was under 18 he qualified for Medicaid based on my income. Now, since he is over 18, even though he still lives at home, only HIS income is used to make that determination, and he qualifies for Medicaid.

    Hopefully, by the time you and he are 21, a new universal or national health care system will be in place, and millions and millions of Americans won't have to go without heath care coverage any more, and we'll be back on par with the rest of the industrialized countries!

    You might want to post your question on the parents with college kids forum. They may have some other suggestions.
  3. Nancy in VA

    Nancy in VA Approved members

    Jul 16, 2007
    I think the problem is going to be not only that you aren't on a group plan through a company, but diabetes as a "pre-condition" might make it very difficult if not impossible to find insurance - and like the person above said, I think you are going to find it cost prohibitive
  4. GaPeach

    GaPeach Approved members

    Dec 29, 2007
    UPS offers insurance to part-time employees. Can you load a truck?
  5. BrendaK

    BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

    Oct 29, 2005
    I had a friend who worked there for years to support his family while he finished college. He worked the 4am-8am shift, then went to school full time. The UPS insurance covered his whole family -- that was the whole reason he worked there.

    Aside from UPS, most parent's insurance will cover up to age 22-25 if you are a full time college student. Is that an option for you? It's almost as much money to buy your own health insurance as it would be to go to a community college. That's my best advice -- live at home, go to college, then get a job out of college with group health insurance.

    We used to live in Michigan and were covered under CSHCS. However, not all states CSHCS cover Diabetes. Illinois does not -- their program covers everything that Michigan's plan covers EXCEPT diabetes. That stinks!!
  6. Thoover

    Thoover Approved members

    Feb 5, 2007
    I work for an insurance company and if you are not on a group plan, you would either be denied insurance or rated up and have a Pre-Ex for 12 months. Meaning nothing will be covered for your diabetes management for 1 year. However you would need to pass medical questions and since being diagnosed as juviniel Diabetes you probably would bed declined. Yes its a sad thing. Finish High school and go to college if thats what you are looking for. Get a job that has GROUP insurance because you can't be denied that way..
    Best of luck.. Trust me Major Medical will run you alot of money with a medium deductible, or even if you had a high ded. it would run you over 200 a month..
  7. WestinsMom

    WestinsMom Approved members

    Mar 27, 2007
    IL doesn't cover D...take that off my places to live! :)
  8. Tabithas_storm

    Tabithas_storm Approved members

    Apr 25, 2008
    My daughter is the diabetic in the family. I am a contractor as a nurse, and the company that I work for does not offer a very good health plan. It is expensive, and doesn't cover a whole lot, so I decline that. I also work as a contractor in nuclear power for part of the year. Their insurance is also horrible. $1200 a month, we have to wait 8 months for coverage, then for cobra during the off season, it is $1800 a month. I have tried numerous times to get private insurance, but she has been denied each and every time.

    Now, for the good part of this, for some anyway. If you go to Levemir, Novolog, Lantus, any of those sites, which ever you may use, you can fill out an income form, and they can assist you with the insulin costs by getting you the insulin either free, or at a discounted rate. The same with some of the test strips.

    If you are planning on moving out on your own, diabetes is covered under the Americans with Diabilities Act. This qualifies you for SSI and Medicaid coverage. I know in TN they require you to be on SSI for one year before you can qualify for Medicaid. Some states have low income programs for insurance. I know TN has started CoverKids, which for low income families is free, for anyone 200% above poverty level, the fee is $224 a month, per child. But you have a waiting period before you qualify for it. I think you have to be with out insurance for 6 months.

    Another option for you to look at is calling or emailing someone from your board of insurance for the state that you live in. They can assist you in finding something that maybe you can afford, or directing you to state programs for diabetics to get supplies, insulin and support.

    Unfortunately for me, I keep getting told that I make too much money for my daughter to qualify for any of these programs. So all of her supplies are paid out of pocket. Insulin (Levemir and Novolog), Test Strips (Freestyle Flash) and needles, we use the generic ones from Wal-Mart, I pay out $400 a month. The Endo is every 3 months, which costs between $300-$1200 a visit depending on what tests we are running that visit. Then add in any trips to the hospital. This last one was an ICU visit for 2 days, plus more time on a regular floor, $65,000. So, at 18, if you really want to move out, that is your decission. I think you should look at the cost of your supplies if you can not get insurance. I think you should look into some of the state run programs. I used to wait tables, I know what a waitress makes on good days, from a higher dollar restraunt. With the expenses that go with living on your own, and the cost of insurance if you can get it, or the expenses for your supplies, I think you will find yourself in a financial hole very quickly.

    I hope that some of this information will be helpful to you. I know that over the last 4 years, it has been very stressful for me trying to get the insurance company that we did have to cover everything, then being with out insurance, to cover all the costs entailed with the disease. Good luck to you in what ever you choose. !

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice