advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sugar vs. splenda

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaTuTu, Jul 13, 2011.

1. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

This may be a question that make some of you think Im an idiot but here it is.

Do you think since we count for carbs and give insulin based on ratios that I could use regular sugar as long as I measured and counted correctly?

Splenda is just so strange, it foams when I put it in my coffee :confused:

2. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

you mean like for baking/cooking? yes, I use regular sugar, measured and counted for accordingly.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Absolutely. My daughter rarely has artificial sweeteners. Ocasionally she will have a diet soda but for the most part, she just eats whatever she always ate and we just account for the carbs.

4. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Short answer: yes!

We just returned some store brand vanilla yogurt. It only had 10 carbs for 1/2 cup which I thought was pretty decent. Dish it up at home and I could taste the sucralose. Checked the ingredients and there it was! We prefer "low sugar" varieties of jellies, juices, etc. rather than sugar substitutes.

'course for diet sodas which are a treat for ds, there's no getting around them. So I won't say we avoid them at all costs, just when possible.

.02 :)

5. MamaTuTu

I use splenda in my DD oats or cream of wheat in the mornings if she eats that. But was wondering if sugar would be better to use because splenda seems to be chemicals and not to healthy (not that sugar is either)

6. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

I think a very light sprinkle of sugar would be fine. what about cinnamon on the cereal? will she eat that?

7. MamaTuTu

Ill have to give it a try! Ok well maybe this wasnt such a bad question after all ;)

8. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We have never used artificial sweeteners except in the occasional pop/juice/popsicles. Never in baking, just regular sugar, count the carbs and dose. I thought that's what most did? Seems to work here. I'd rather avoid the chemicals.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Sugar, honey or Maple syrup for baking, Zevia(Stevia) for Soda Pop, Everything else we do unsweetened

10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

What soda has stevia?

11. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Zevia
    http://www.zevia.com/

Personally, I do not like it. It has a strong after taste but I have heard of others who enjoy it.

12. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I prefer actual sugar to substitutes. I bake with raw sugar and use stevia drops in tea. Never use Splenda...and try to avoid it in prepped foods but it sneaks in sometimes.

13. MamaTuTu

I use organic sugar i just like the way it tastes in coffee I also have regular sugar and splenda but when I tried it in my coffee I couldn't believe that it foamed :confused: I thought this cant be good for my baby!

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I consider real sugar to be healthier than artificial sweeteners. I don't have a lot of food or drink which is pure sugar, but if it's baked into something, I always use real sugar.

15. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I find it very sweet, but no after taste, I prefer the Cherry, orange, lime and grape. My husband drinks all the flavours

16. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Splenda give us all severe digestive issues we've found. Similar to problems caused by sugar alcohols. I prefer stevia is using an artificial sweetener but usually use good ol' sugar, just less of it.

17. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

We always use sugar or agave here. We could never get used to Splenda and found that we preferred to just learn to live with less sugar. In fact, we now use only about 2/3 or 3/4 the amount of sugar in recipes that we used to make pre-D.

The only time we use artificial sweeteners is with drinks like Jones Zero or Steaz. My daughter has one as a treat about once or twice a month. She gets a treat without it adding to her carb count, plus they taste great.

18. happyearthgirl

happyearthgirl Approved members

We use maple syrup, honey or stevia. We avoid chemical sweeteners. I think they make splenda out of actual sugar but take out something to put chlorine atoms in it.