advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sugar scrub

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bibrahim, Apr 16, 2011.

1. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

My niece asked me today if my CWD would absorb sugar scrub (like a skin treatment like a salt scrub) into her system. I am not sure, but it seems like it wouldn't absorb. Does anyone know?

She is making gift baskets with some home made spa items and wanted to know if that would be OK. I was so impressed she thought to ask about it.

2. mommymaul

mommymaul Approved members

I read some where that diabetics shouldn't use the sugar scrubs because it could be absorbed, especially if they were bathing and using it (as opposed to a shower) this was when the sugar scrubs started coming out because the salt scrubs were drying to the skin. Just thought I would throw what I know...... which isn't much.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I would think not.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Yeah you can use it to scrub your feet, but don't sit / soak it in the water with it as it could cause a yeast infection. (I think this could be true for any female)

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've never heard of a sugar scrub before but I wouldn't expect it to be a problem unless the sugar scrub comes into contact with an open wound or a cut. Or, if it leaves sugar on the skin, and then the person does a shot through the skin- although I would still expect that to put in so little sugar as to make no difference.

6. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't think about it possibly causing a yeast infection if you sit in water with it, but it makes sense.

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I've used sugar scrubs myself for many years and have never had any medical issues. I keep it in the tub and Isaac's used it and we've never had a problem. I think that glucose is too large of a molecule to be absorbed through our awesome barrier (skin) so it's not such an issue in terms of BG, but it's a great sweet addition to a bath or a shower ;)