- advertisement -

Sugar Girl

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Does anyone elses kids get picked on at school? My daughter is being called Sugar Girl. They say she is diabetic because she eats too much sugar! What do I do....She dosent want me to make a big deal of it in fear of being called a tattle tail, but i hate this for her!

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Grrr.. this sort of nonesense makes my blood boil.. how to handle it depends on who's doing the teasing. If it's one or two idiots, then chatting with them and their parents informally might be the way to go. If it's kids in her class, having someone come in and do a presentation on D that ties into the curriculum in some way might work. Teachers should be alerted, so they can give support.

Our daughter has been blessed with very strong support and protectiveness from classmates and friends. I'd hate to be the kid that dared to tease her - the others would come down on the kid like the hammer of doom..

3. MLH

MLH Approved members

school issues

My daughter is 9 1/2 she has had issues at times with the other kids. :(

I find education to be very helpful. Every year since kdg I have gone into school with Rufus and an appropriate book and I read it to the kids. Analeigh shows how she checks her BG. We show how we read the label to figure out carbs, and how to do a bolus. I find the children very receptive and they ask great ?'s. We always talk about how you can't catch diabetes and what causes it etc.

This year I think my daughter may do the lesson with me watching, or the nurse. She really does a great job, and the kids love to hear her answers. Who better to answer than her.

I hope that helps. I would also talk to the teacher (your daughter doesn't even have to know). If she is aware she can keep her ears open and help deal with it.

Good luck!

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Let her tell them they have it wrong. She doesn't have the common type, but an unusual type where her pancreas doesn't work right any longer.

Another idea is for someone to educate the entire class on what Type 1 Diabetes is.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth has not been teased at school, I strongly believe it's because every year since dx'd I have gone to his class and had "The D talk" I would not go to her class in anger (Even though you have every right to be very angry) But, I would go and explain D, what it is, and how no one else can catch it from your daughter. I start with "Who knows what contagious means? I have them give examples of things that are cont. Then we talk about how D is not cont. and give some examples of things that are not cont. Then, I use the analogy of the pancreas being like a gas tank...If you have a tank full of gas, but no key to turn it on, can you go anywhere? Seth doesn't have a key to use his fuel for energy, so he takes insulin so that his body use the food/fuel he eats for energy". Seth tests for everyone to see, that way there are no mysteries for the kids to make things up about. The kids rally around Seth, I ask them to help keep an eye on him during recess. I have to say, the kids at our school have really been great. Seth was dx'd in 1st grade, he's now in 6th, so most of the kids know abuot Seth's D and are great with it. He has lots of friends both boys and girls. I hope this helps. I would definately talk to the class:D

6. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

We have been fortunate that my son hasn't been picked on. But for the first 3 years he was in school the nurse went into his class to educate the kids and explain what was going on...i think that has a lot to do with it. Let her teacher know what's going on, and maybe she can do a little lesson on diabetes with the class.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Does your school have a policy on bullying? I would speak with her teacher and let her know what is going on and how your child is afraid. Then, I would request that either you or the nurse come in and talk about diabetes and make sure there is a section on the mythes of diabetes with the number 1 being you can't get it from eating too much sugar.

Kids can be so cruel. Luckily, we haven't got any teasing yet, but unfortunately, I know it will be coming:mad: That's why it's important to educate the classmates.

8. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

About a year after my son was dx'ed he got teased, called sugar baby, ewwwww your nasty you get shots, etc etc. Now it has been almost 4 years and when someone says something he just tells them in a general conversation tone "I have diabetes, I take shots to stay healthy" and my all time favorite we have been saying since being in the hospital at diagnosis "God just made me a little to sweet for my own good" :D

9. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

When Samantha started school I had a talk with the teacher about how we could deal with the other kids and of course the kids looking at her like she is strange and different..its not like she can hide it with having to leave the class room all the time...
    he teacher aked me if it would be ok to explain to the class about diabetes and how you get it and what to look for if Samantha is looking or acting strange...so far so good she even made a new friend this year:D

10. jeep_bluetj

jeep_bluetj Approved members

The prior posters have some good ideas. I'd be inclined to give her some tools to help deal with it much as Amy and the others point out. Why? She's going to hear the "you ate too much sugar" nonsense a few billion times in her life. Right or wrong, it's gonna happen. A good attitude about verbal sparring with the undereducated can go a long way in cases like this.

One of the coping methods I've noticed my son using is that he points out that HE is tough enough to get shots, fingersticks, etc. And the person doing the teasing is likely not. He'll proudly show off his infusion site and say "You think you could take having one of these?".. It's reasonably effective. He's a tad younger though, a bit before the real nasty bullying starts.

11. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

I think the thing to remember is that even if you educate the class, there is always the kids that have heard things from other adults, or kids that will still tease becuase they are uncomfortable with differences, especially worried that they may get "D" becuase perhaps they wonder if they themselves consume to much sugar. Educating the class wont solve that odd ball kid that is just a jerk and uses demeaning other kids as his way to feel better about himself. Bullies.

I always tell Maddison and express to her that people act this way becuase they are neive to how things work. Then we talk about the stupid things people have said and we end up laughing about how they have no idea! She now tells them her pancreas is broken and she has to give what it doesnt. Its much easier for kids to understand that than the whole long explanation. I would work on assuring your daughter that there will always be these jerks that are uneducated and dont get it. I think it is the only way to know that our kids can face this everyday becuase there will always be that one idiot. I know it still HURTS!

12. jeep_bluetj

jeep_bluetj Approved members

There's jerks in the adult world too. Lots of us call them "boss" :)

Sitting here waiting on a test to finish, I'm thinking of this post. And I just cannot get the smart-axe responses out of my head.

"Well, I'm sweeter than you..."

"I can treat my broken pancreas, what do you do about your ignorance?"

"jerk" (simple and to the point, huh? - there's tens of responses in this category, most not appropriate for 10 year olds.....)

"Be careful, your idiocy is showing..."

Of course, these are all a bit abrasive. A positive approach may be... well... more positive.
    But my brain comes up with the funny stuff first...

13. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

Dylan gets told by a couple of kids, that he doesn't really have diabetes, and that he is making it all up, and that he doesn't know what he is talking about, he has had a kid mention he got diabetes because he had too much sugar.
    I just tell Dylan to ignore them and that they just must be not very nice kids!!! The majority of the kids in his class, look after Dylan as in remind him and they are all really interested in knowing more about Type 1.

I guess you are always going to get the odd ones who think they know it all.
    I think I have come across more adults who think they know it all than kids though. Of course you can't tell these twits about Type 1 because THEY KNOW IT ALL!!!!....lol...
    There are so many ignorant people in this world!!

14. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

This is bullying, plain and simple. Talk to the principal and insist that they come up with some sort of means of remedying the situation. Educating the class about D is a good idea. But sadly, kids will always find someone to bully about something; if it isn't D it will be something else. To me the issue isn't about D, it is about inappropriate behavior at school. Our school has a strict no-bullying policy. They deal with it very seriously and actually see much more of an issue with bullying between girls than they do with boys.

I am sorry your daughter is dealing with this. Hopefully the school will be very proactive about fixing this situation.