- advertisement -

Sugar free juice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MommytoIsaiah, Jan 17, 2011.

1. MommytoIsaiah

MommytoIsaiah Approved members

I was wondering if anyone lets their kids drink sugar free juice on a regular basis, like crystal light? That's what my son was given while in the hospital and I stuck with it. It only has about carb per package. I don't see anything wrong with it but have gotten input saying otherwise

2. timsma

timsma Approved members

We all drink a lot of crystal light in our house,,,,,,,started with Tim, but we all enjoy it. No problems at all imo.

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

We did right after she was diagnosed (and put the little packets in water bottles when we were out). It's really sweet though. Also drank Propel. Lauren usually just picks water (or diet soda sometimes or low carb gatorade).

4. MommytoIsaiah

Thank you both! It is sweet, which is probably why my son likes it so much. He used to drink a lot of water until he was diagnosed and now won't touch it. I don't see anything wrong with it either.

5. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

I stay clear of it due to it's questionable ingredients, like any other sugar free product..

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

We drink tons of if due to it's (highly debatable) questionable ingredients, like any other sugar free product.

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We drink a lot of crystal light. I figure there are a lot of other things to stress out about than the sugar free sweetener.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

If I drink juice, it's unsweetened fresh fruit juice(or from concentrate) I usually drink UNsweetened Tea, or Zevia soda, or plain water

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

there are also 'jammer 10s' that come in pouches that are convenient and are also sugar free..we have used them a lot..i personally like crystal light too..

10. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

We use sugar-free drinks that contain sucralose (splenda) instead of other sweeteners. We've also started using the sugar free flavored waters that contain splenda - I feel better about those because they don't contain all of the dyes. We also dilute both a LOT for Hank. He gets maybe one or two ounces of full strength stuff mixed with six or seven ounces of water. We also drink a lot of water in our house, because I hate the idea of all the chemicals in that stuff, but he loves it, and I think there are probably worse things.

Hank's only other "sugar-free" habit is jell-o, which he absolutely adores...though he calls it "yerr-o" ;)

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie was the same way after diagnosis. He wouldn't drink water or milk. All he would drink was Crystal Light. It took a couple years for us to get him to drink milk or water without a massive meltdown.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is one of a few areas that I sort of baffle myself about. Before diabetes my kids only drank water, very very few sodas at all, and definitely no artificial sweeteners. Now, I buy diet sodas and crystal light. No idea why. I think it's a way to try to make up for how much diabetes stinks by having that little treat available.

Not really happy with it, don't think it's a good idea, but there you have it. I do tell them only one per day though.

13. MommytoIsaiah

I guess I don't feel bad about the artificial sweetener seeing as that's the ONLY sugar free item he will consume. He is super picky. He won't drink milk anymore either and was once an avid milk drinker. But I did find some juice packets that have Stevia in them, so I am trying that out. Doesn't taste as good though :)

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We avoid the sugar free largely because of the artificial sweeteners. I have a sister who's an organic chemist, she's wary for very technical reasons I can't begin to comprehend.

Mostly, though, we avoid artificial sweeteners because I read once (and believe) that they kind of set you up. You develop and maintain a taste for a higher level of sweet and then that drives you to either crave other sweet foods or to consume larger and larger amounts of the artificial sweetener in foods and drinks with almost no other nutritional value, some of which actually dehydrate you so that you don't even get the advantage from the water.

My kids like to drink a lot of water. I think that's really healthy. Me, I never drink water. Diet soda all the way.

I don't think it's evil, I just think it's problematic.
    :cwds:

Just saw your last post -- see, in our house, when we let them drink the sweetened drinks it causes them not to want to drink water or milk anymore. So it can have a loop effect.

15. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

loren drinks tons of Power aid zero, no carbs at all. We also do water and sometimes crystal light.

16. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We all drink Crystal Light. My son hates water, completely. He will drink CL, milk & Diet V8 splash. Occasionally (maybe twice a week?) they'll have a diet root beer, or diet sunkist orange.

Generally they both always drink milk with meals, and then CL or V8 between meals.

17. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I use to drink it but now can only drink the liquid version of it. The powder version has maltodextrin in it which my body reacts to. It is very sweet.

18. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I keep a few Crystal Light singles in DD's kit, mainly if we are at a restaurant and she wants something other than milk or water. We've put it in club soda with few cherries for a sugar-free "kiddy cocktail" :eek:

At school, she has a few Fruit Falls pouches for school parties where the other kids are getting Capri Suns.

DD mainly drinks water or milk, she probably has less than one 8-oz. diet 7-up or diet Sprite a week and an Izze-esque sparkling juice every once in a while (once a month?). My ILs have given us a big pack of Fuze drinks and we also have a few VitaminWater zero and Sobe Lifewater. DD will drink some of those from time to time -- but seldom more than 1/2 cup or so.

We did try one of the lower-carb orange juice (can't recall the brand), but we didn't care for it and don't generally have orange juice on hand anyway.

19. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm an organic chemist and I'm not wary at all. Just sayin'.

20. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

We've all been hooked on those crystal light to go packets since long before D was part of our lives.

I usually use True Lime in my water personally, but the rest of the fam, including Brandi, thinks they are gross cuz they aren't sweet.