- advertisement -

Sucrose in H1N1 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ShanaB, Nov 3, 2009.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I don't think it was the sucrose, but like someone else mentioned I wonder if getting the vaccine mimced getting sick? It makes sense since the vaccine stimulates the immune system into acting "sick" by getting it activated against the illness.

What is it about being sick that raises bs? Can a jump started immune system from a vaccine cause high bs too? Has anyone seen high bs from vaccines.

dd got the regular flu shot but she was already sick with a cold at the time so bs was already higher than normal--doc gave it to her anyway while she was there.

(Sorry to have gotten side-tracked btw b/c you bring up an excellent point to be on the look upt for high bs after vaccines.)

2. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

You guys are the best, thanks for asking. Emma stayed high until about 3am and then she started coming down. Don't know why and have learned not to really spend too much time wondering :cwds: She did come home from daycare with a rash on her tummy and has since thrown up. I am NOT implying this is from the flu shot but you asked how she is doing and this is the latest round of fun :(

And, for those of you who think it is appropriate to turn this thread into a flu shot debate, it's not appropriate. If a poster lists ingredients and asks for all opinions then it is the right time to state why or why not you would get the shot based on whatever opinions you may have. If someone posts they already got the shot, there is no reason to debate the issue. The only way an OP can interpret that is judgment and therefore, it is not appropriate.

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

See, but by saying that, you offend all those who've vaccinated their children and "put toxic chemicals in their bodies" Come on really, do we need to guilt parents just trying to do the right thing for their children? Its not helpful because they have already vaccinated so they can't take it back or anything. Of course its inflammatory.

4. ambernaddison

ambernaddison New Member

I don't know if this helps you at all but my daughter (3 yo) ended up with large ketones after receiving the regular seasonal flu vaccine. It could have just been a cold that she happened to get after the vaccine, but I'm more apt to think that it was her body reacting to "getting sick", essentially. She is newly diagnosed (9/2/09) so I'm getting used to all of it anyway but she started with a running nose about two days post vaccine and then by 4-5 days she was showing signs of ketones. I tested her and she spent every evening for three nights going into mod - large ketones.
    I am still partial to do the swine flu vaccine as well though since I don't know which is the greater evil, getting the flu and risking her getting sent to the hosp or some weird reaction to the vaccine, or worse, long term effect. I was interested when I saw your post though. I am curious to find out what other parents with t1 children are deciding to do.
    Amber

5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

n

Not to be picky, but..... isn't this CHILDREN with diabetes, a parents forum? People that have children with diabetes have the difficult responsiblity of taking care of other people. It's different when you are an adult, taking care of yourself.

Isn't there an "adult" forum for people like Harley GUY???

6. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

Sorry Emmas Mom,apparently not. According to hawkeygirl:"What are you talking about?
    Your post was irrelevant and inflammatory in the context of this thread"[/
    I] So lesson learned, do not give any opinion that is contrary or you will get blasted by someone.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey dude, I guess I missed all the drama. But there is a forum on CWD for Adults with Type 1. Might be worth a check.. :cwds:
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Harely Guy - we have never claimed that we need 100% agreement on this forum...

"I" stated that your message wasn't appropriate for a mom that JUST GOT HER kid vaccinated.

Just becuase people do not agree with you 100% of the time is honestly no reason to get your nose bent out of shape and go stomping off the playground. You have posted NUMEROUS times about people picking on you, yet, after reading all of your posts, I just don't see the cause for this. Everytime you say stuff like this, it just deepens my own belief that you are not a new poster to this forum, but rather someone who already had their nose bent out of shape before. YOU SEEM to jump to alot of conclusions and are quick to accuse people of being mean to you...Yes - people will question, but jeez, don't they in real life.

If I stomped off in a out every time someone disagreed with me, well, I might just have to give up on ANYTHING I post on the internet...

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

10. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

If he was really serious about getting support and information, he'd move to the adult section and quit with the snarky banter.......

11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Wow, I clicked on this thread to read about sucrose in the H1N1 shot and I think there was only 1 or 2 posts in the entire thread about that.

Back to topic -- did anyone find out how many grams of sucrose were in the shot? Is is something that would need to be bolused for?

12. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

Hope little Emma is doing/feeling better. I heard from my endo team here in Calgary that Ontario isn't even offering the seasonal flu vaccine...is that true? My team here has STILL not told me if JJ should get the seasonal or the H1 shot...and I asked almost a month ago...... for the record I have never gotten the flu shot so I am scared to take this step with JJ....but from what I understand it is a very necessary and urgent step to be taken!

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If anybody feels that people without children with diabetes should not be posting here, feel free to PM us and tell us outside of threads relating to other things.

I really hope Emma is feeling better soon. I doubt whether that small amount of sucrose would have such an effect on her BGs (but I have been wrong before ;)) and I'd bet that the highs were down to the stress of the shot (and the effect on her body of making the antibodies). I have a tendency to have wonky numbers for a couple days after vaccinations.

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Don't worry Emma. You provide lots of support and information to us parents, so we're glad to have you around.:) :)

And I agree, as I posted before, I don't think the sucrose had anything to do with the higher BG. Like I mentioned before, ingredients usually are listed from those in most quantity to the least, so i wouldn't take it into consideration.

15. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I personally feel that people who post on this forum with diabetes offer a lot of valuable information and I would never want to see them go. Everyone should be respectful, regardless of whether they are living with diabetes or have a child with diabetes.

As for the sucrose, I am with Paula, I don't think it caused my issue, just thought it was interesting ingredient on the list and made me ponder for a moment (and then the moment ended).

JJ's mom -- the seasonal flu shot is not being offered in Ontario at this time. It was being offered a few weeks ago to people over 65 but I believe that has ended and the seasonal flu shot will be available again to everyone later in the season.

16. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

Shana, I had similar concerns about the sucrose in infant Tylenol and was assured by the makers and the pharmacist that the amount is so negligible, it wouldn't cause an increase in the BS readings. NOT that I am saying that Tylenol and the Flu shot are similar in any way. I also looked on a number of sites re:H1N1 and found same thing you did.....'trace amounts'...whatever that means! Hope she's doing well.

17. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

I would have to say your probably looking at fractions of a gram.
    Consider it virtually "0".

18. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

this is not what i posted , check past posts. it was someone else. :)

19. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Ontario is getting the seasonal flu shot, but not for a while. They are delaying it until after the H1N1 vaccines.

Both our Endo and family doctor recommended the vaccines. Our D son has had it, we haven't yet because they are still doing the high risk groups.

I'm more concerned about the chemicals we absorb through the air, food and water on a daily basis than I am with an annual vaccine.