- advertisement -

Sucrose in H1N1 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ShanaB, Nov 3, 2009.

1. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

We got the kids vaccinated today and after Emma was quite high (342). This could have been due to a plethora of things -- stress of getting the vaccine, just a diabetes thing, the few chips she ate in line that I didn't bolus for etc. However, took a good look at the ingredients and apparently there may be sucrose in the vaccination

Antigen suspension vial: Thimerosal, sodium chloride, disodium hydrogen phosphate, potassium dihydrogen phosphate, potassium chloride, water for injections. The drug substance contains trace residual amounts of egg proteins, formaldehyde, sodium deoxycholate and sucrose.

Granted "trace residual amounts" wouldn't cause a 342 but I just found it interesting. Gotta love the formaldehyde...ugh. This is Canadian data.

2. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

I wonder if if it's also her reaction to the virus. Just like before and during sickness blood sugars can rise.:cwds: It could just be the same thing.

3. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

There is a plethora of yucky stuff in that vaccine, and I'm not interested in letting someone inject mercury or any other unbelievable poisons in me. I was told from an early age that mercury is very dangerous to our health. Nothing has changed, it still is.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wow Harley Guy - since children are dying left and right, I think this vaccine is pretty damn important! and it is made from the same stuff as the typical flu vaccine...

AND she already had the vaccine, so I am not sure why you would post recommending not getting this?

5. LJM

LJM Approved members

Carter's numbers went a bit weird for about 1.5 days after shot. But then we noticed there was blood in cannula when we took site out, so we think it was really that and not the shot.

6. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

There is more mercury in a can of tuna than in a flu shot.

7. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

I actually did some further research on this yesterday and there are several forms of the vaccine that have NO or only trace amounts of mercury. I made sure our peds office has the one with none at all. We have an appt. for Friday morning.

8. HarleyGuy

Wow Lee, I'm not sure why you would post that I recommended her not getting the shot or anything else for that matter. I posted no such thing. I said I was not interested in getting that shot, stuff and all.

blbrocky..I don't care what the amount of mercury there is in the shot, or your can of tuna, I simply am not interested in putting that in me, or canned tuna.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ron - I guess by you saying that you wouldn't get it or the other unbelievable poison injected into you, I assumed you were recommending against it...

And most of them don't have mercury...

I just thought that your post was a little mean to a mom that had JUST GOTTEN the shot for her kid...

10. HarleyGuy

Gotcha. I remember all to well how mean post can be. I just wouldn't want the shot for whatever reason there may be, however children are much more susceptible to this virus running amuck.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

What are you talking about?

Your post was irrelevant and inflammatory in the context of this thread.

12. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

To be honest when I read Ron's post this morning my first thought was...ok jerk, not helpful. I did my research before getting the vaccine and made a personal decision as a parent, in conjunction with my doctor, and believe it was the right decision for my family.

However, after thinking about it, Ron's post doesn't bother me. He is allowed to express his dis-taste for the ingredients in the vaccine and just as I have made the best decision for my family, he is making the best decision for himself.

I do think though that we as non-d parents do not live with diabetes and for the most part, people on this board with diabetes do not live with children who have diabetes. Having a very young child with diabetes and in daycare was a huge factor in my decision to get this vaccine and the people who don't walk in my shoes should also not judge.

13. HarleyGuy

Thank you for your astute opinion.

14. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Hi Shana,

How's Emma feeling today?

15. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Hope Emma is feeling better today and got her numbers back in range!

I don't see it...he was simply stating that he didn't want the vaccine. Honest opinion. OP listed all that was included and he responded. Can't anyone post an objection to anything around here without getting hammered to the wall? :rolleyes:

16. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

REALLY!!!!!!!!!! I dont understand why people get so upset about peoples opinions. If they dont like it. Fine. But dont hammer them becasue they are not you views.

17. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

"yes, that stuff which is not natural, it toxic stuff. Would not put that in my body or my childs for sure. "

I understand that you may not want to ingest, or inject, toxins, even in minute amounts considered safe, into your or your child's body--I personally think the risk of the infection esp to a child with D is greater than the risk of anything bad happening from these toxins, but that's just my pov.

However, while lots of "unnatural" substances are not toxic in the least, and those that are may be safe if handled safely, I'm most concerend that too many people think "natural" = safe. Some of the most dangerous toxins in the world are natural. Cyanide, botulism, salmonila, (swine flu). All nautral does not mean safe and if they came out with a vaccine that was all natrual, I'd still want to know what was in it and whether it was safe or not. (I'm not saying that you feel this way, I just want ppl to know that natural does not necessarily mean safe--let's stay vigilant, folks.)

18. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

Can we please focus on little Emma and her higher-than-usual BG?

Shana, I hope she's back on range :).

19. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

cyanide is produced from natural plants like fungi or algae etc: salmonilla is a bacteria, yeah natural born bacteria. But you dont want to put it in you body do you. not even alittle. When you think about it. Yeah, its just a little bit of that toxic stuff, which is considered safe. but over time of many shots and other contaminents that we are exposed of. Then all together it can effect you. Since we are exposed to so much bacteria, toxins, etc: cutting back on what you can will benefit you. Let me stress myself that that is my opinion. Dont take this wrong at all folks. :) We are in the same boat

20. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think the
    is probably what caused the high.
    I don't know how it goes for vaccines and meds and stuff like that, but for foods, the first 3 ingredients listed are the ones in greater quantity. So, sucrose being last on the list, I really wouldn't fault it.:)
    I may be wrong, though.

Hate the word formaldehyde...nasty sounding word.