- advertisement -

Subject verb agreement

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ecs1516, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My younger son is homeschooled. I am looking for extra work for him in subject verb agreement. Any websites or workbooks you recommend?

2. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Your words are strange and confusing to me.:confused:

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

No, Dave. Her words is strange and confusing to you. :p

4. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Daily Grams?

5. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Is he making errors, or are you being proactive?

6. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

:D:D:D:D:D:D(Is that enough to constitute a long enough message?)

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

He is making errors. I made a copy of his page out of his Language book from Abeka. The page on Irregular verbs, Present, Present Participle,Past and Past Participle.

One example is where he used the word ate instead of eaten.

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

That is such a common mistake and I hear adults use it all the time. Sorry... really can't help you at this hour. We have several books here on proper grammar but really no workbooks. Oh! Yes, we do, we used Rod & Staff books but I don't remember how much they had on ..on all those you just said :D

9. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

Grammar Girl has podcasts...fun, easy to listen to and understand. Available from iTunes. Her website is:
    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

She's also written a book, which I haven't read, but has 50+ 5-star reviews on Amazon. I don't know if she addresses your issue specifically, but a great overall resource for grammar. :)

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We use Shurley grammar and my daughter is doing a lot of this right now. She's doing the HARD stuff though, like that Mumps is singular (so mumps IS, not are)and sometimes amounts vary by preposition attached...fifty pounds of oranges have arrived...fifty pounds of sugar has arrived. It's quite confusing actually!

Is this higher level than you are working on? If not, pm me and I can try to scan and email some of the stuff we have in Shurley.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

He is in the fifth grade. We are using Abeka.

12. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

We are struggling with the same thing right now. I was getting ready to search for some extra material on the subject. I hate grammar !

13. buggle

buggle Approved members

Does he read a lot? I think reading does the most to help with grammar and vocabulary... and spelling and about everything else to do with language.

Brendan picks up grammatical errors from other kids. He had pretty good grammar when he started school for the first time in 2nd grade and then he picked up all sorts of awful grammar. I about fell down the first time he said, "Me and Andrew want to have a play date." :p

Now that he's only going to school one day a week, his grammar is about back to normal. I did see a few errors in one of his articles in the school newspaper. I wish the teacher would teach them how to edit...

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

He doesn't read as much as his brother did at this age. I did find these new books he loves we just started reading. The series is called "The 39 Clues".

Also, went through some exercies in his Abeka Language book we had not done tonight. He did very well. I think it is just going to take a little extra work everyday and more reading for fun. I hate grammar too!

15. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

You could have him come on here and corrrect everyone's grammatical errors....that should give him enough work for the rest of the year.:D

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

This is so true!!!