- advertisement -

stuttering help

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by chkpea, Feb 21, 2011.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

my 7 year old has stuttered on and off since he was 4. It did pretty much completely stop when he was 6 but now it has started again and it is very frequent. My dh thinks it will just go away on its own but I really don't want to wait and see. Does anyone have any experience with therapy that helped stuttering? I ask him to slow down and that works. But I am not sure what else to do.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Speech therapy can help. Do the schools in Canada have Speech therapists?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

I have stuttered from the time I started talking. I too go through periods where it's hardly noticeable or stops altogether but it's not something that has gone away. My mom put me in speech therapy when I was 7 and it helped me so much, I learned some techniques that really helped and met some other kids who stuttered too. It can be very hard socially for a child that stutters and it's so frustrating not being able to express yourself vocally when and how you want to. (I once introduced myself as 'Fred' because I was having trouble with the 'd' sound that day and couldn't get my name out :rolleyes: sometimes you've just got to laugh it off :D) Even if his stuttering turns out to be temporary I would suggest looking into speech therapy for sure.

As for me, I have learned to accept it as part of myself and I hardly notice it anymore, the calmer I am about it the less trouble I have :cwds:

5. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

getting him to slow down and take his time is exactly the right thing to do. when I find myself struggling to start a sentence, I stop, take a deep breath and feel the tension go out of my throat. it also helps to reword the sentence so I'm staring off with another sound. lots of times once you get past the first few words it's ok. sometimes you need a minute to calm yourself, the more frustrated you get the harder it is to get out.

but the most important thing is to be kind and patient. please know that it can be very hard for a child who stutters and they really need that support. I've come to terms with it now but it wasn't so easy when i was younger- although most of the kids at school were pretty good about it, of course there were those who would laugh and sneer. and lets face it, sometimes stuttering sounds funny and people are going to laugh. but when you're in that claustaphobic place, struggling to get a word out, you feel more helpless and vunerable than any other time, and when someone laughs at you just then, it's like kicking a man when he's down and it's devastating. so the person who stutters really needs that someone in their life who is completely accepting and supportive. I've found that learning to accept it is key, and arming yourself with knowledge and tools so you can manage it instead of becoming a victim and being forced to forever order pepsi when you really want a coke but can't say the 'c' sound. it takes time. you sound like you're doing all you can and I applaud that, he's a lucky little boy :) good luck

6. ethical_erin

ethical_erin Approved members

Stuttering Thoughts

My son also stutters. When kids sing things instead of talking, it relaxes then so they don't stutter. Anxiety and stress make it worse. Christmas time (due to the excitement) was full of stuttering, but now we are back to normal. I would highly rec. a speech consult with your local education service.

7. bisous

bisous Approved members

Interesting replies so far. DS started stuttering at 5.5 years old. I realized now at 7.5 he doesn't really do it anymore. For us, it is kind of an anxiety thing. All the recommendations for speech therapy are making me think we'd like to explore that route possibly. Sounds like a really positive thing!

8. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

My brother is an "extreme" stutterer.

He has been stuttering since he could talk.

He can barely say a full sentence now, without stuttering.

He went through all the speech therapy classses, camps, etc.

Nothing helped him.:(

There is a device out that he could wear behind his ear, and this supposedly would "change" his life.... but this is something "he will not consider" He doesn't want to be "attached" to something.:rolleyes:

Again, he has a very severe form of stuttering, probably nothing like your child, so I would try the therapy, and if not, look into the ear piece.

9. polly

polly Approved members

Hey! I am a speech pathologist, but work mostly with adults in acute care. I'd strongly recommend a speech eval. There are many, many techniques that can benefit kids that stutter and prognosis is better if they become routine at an earlier age. Does your son have any behaviors that accompany the stuttering (i.e., facial grimacing, arm movements, etc.)? Please let me know if you want any articles/research and I'd be more than happy to get them for you! In the meantime, you may want to look at the following:
    www.nsastutter.org
    www.asha.org
    www.stutteringhelp.org
    Best of luck!!

10. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

My dear best friend stuttered all the way until college. Then as an adult he went into speech therapy. He is now doing public relations for Boeing in Chicago and rarely, if ever stutters (and is quite successful.) I would say do not push this, wait until he is ready for treatment, and when he wants it, at whatever age that is, he will be successful.

11. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

My oldest stutters, it started when he was 4 1/2 and it got so bad when he was 5 that we literally couldn't follow anything that he was saying - so after fighting with or pedi to get the referral, we had him evaluated (privately) and he started speech therapy when he entered Kindergarten, which he continued for about 3 years (decreasing from 3 times a week to only once a month towards the end), with a lot of improvement, and he was ultimately discharged because more therapy wasn't expected to improve any more and it was no longer severely impacting his classroom experience (it was for a while), and things have gotten a little better since then. He still stutters, but it's no longer as bad as it once was. He'll sometimes go weeks with perfectly fluent speech, but he'll still have trouble once in a while.

12. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

update, we have an appt. to go and have a consult at a local speech therapist. $$ but we have some coverage. No the school system sucks here for getting help with speech. Both of my children have speech issues. I don't understand why. to clarify ...I don't understand why they both have speech and lang. issues