advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuffing a Turkey

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Jordansmom, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

This is my son's first Thanksgiving dxd with Celiac. Can anyone tell me if you stuff a turkey with bread stuffing/dressing, will it contaminate the turkey meat. I'm thinking yes. :( He has been glutenized from using the same oven for gluten and gluten free cookies.

If I was cooking I'd just skip stuffing the turkey, but we are going to my inlaws and they are not going to go without. So what would you do about it? The only solution I have is to cook a turkey at home and bring it with us. :( He is an adult, but I've tried to make family get togethers as easy for him as I can.

2. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

You can stuff the bird with a gluten free stuffing. Whole foods brand is fairly good. What I prefer is to make corn bread and make a cornbread and sausage dressing.

Good luck.

3. Jordansmom

Cornbread is a great idea. I'll probably do that with the turkey I take with us, but my inlaws have an old family recipe they aren't going to give up. I can't see a way around cooking an extra turkey.

Honestly when I think about all the baking and cooking going on I can't imagine anyone there being careful enough about cross contamination anyway, even though they try.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I know my husband loves stuffing that's cooked in a turkey (I've made mine with GF bread cubes that I dried in the oven ahead of time.)

However, I'm one of those that find it next-to-impossible to get the stuffing to a safe temperature without drying out the bird totally.

So, no... I don't risk it. I bake my stuffing in a separate casserole.

And yes, a gluten-containing stuffing would likely cause cross-contamination issues. Ever time you basted the bird, you'd be spreading gluten that dripped out of the bird, over the meat.

In your case, I'd make a turkey breast at home and bring it along to the event. (It's a shame the inlaws won't be more accomodating, but it's not surprising. I find issues with that all the time.)

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Agree with the other posters, and you - cross-contamination risk would be HUGE with people who aren't willing to go without their precious stuffing. Sorry...I have issues:eek:.
    Any chance of having Thanksgiving at your house? If not, I'd plan to pack your child's favorites, and try not to blurt out, "Your grandparents care more about their STUFFING than you. Sorry." Yeah...issues....

6. Caldercup

I have issues too! I don't expect people to *cater* to my child's needs, but they could make a simple alteration that would make his life easier.

But... truth to tell... they probably wouldn't know enough to be super careful about cross-contamination, so I'd take his food along anyway, just to be safe.

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Don't forget about the gravy...if they use flour as thickening it is a problem too. Even if they use cornstarch...if the drippings they use for gravy are from the stuffed turkey, that will be problematic.

Sorry your family is not cooperative. It is possible to have a gf thanksgiving. I am grateful my family has been wonderful about this.

8. Jordansmom

Now I'm really glad I asked, because I thought about the cornstarch in the gravy but I didn't think about the drippings or basting. Theres always a bit of stuffing floating around. What a rotten day that could have been. I guess I'll precook all his thanksgiving and bring it with us.

What does everyone do about pie?

My in aws have given it a little effort. I've taken them substitute ingredients for making a small dish of a family favorite. But despite all the education he has been glutenized every time he's eaten with extended family. He's getting tired of it. And they fight over their mother's in the bird stuffing, so no way they're going to help out there.

9. Caldercup

In terms of pie, I will sometimes bake a pumpkin pie with no crust at all. There's also this Bisquick recipe that makes a pumpkin pie-like casserole that's very good:

Impossible Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:
    3/4 C Sugar
    1/2 C Gluten Free Bisquick
    2 TB margarine
    1 Can (13 oz.) Evaporated Milk
    2 Eggs
    1 Can (16 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin puree (not "pumpkin pie mix")
    2 1/2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
    2 Teaspoons Vanilla

Directions:
    1. Heat oven to 350 and grease the casserole dish. (I use a tall-sided, round Corningware casserole)
    2. Beat together all ingredients until smooth.
    3. Pour into baking dish and bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Approx. 50-55 min.

10. Caldercup

I'm blessed with family who are motivated to learn, but we still get glutenized.... I think it's just terribly hard to learn everything there is to know about cross-contamination, not to mention their kitchen has cooked glutenous foods forever. I've had them throw a flavoring into a dish that wasn't on the recipe, just because they always added it to their potato salad. Sick-sick-sick! Then I had a cousin make an all-day BBQ. Even though he carefully checked all ingredients through me, bought disposable pans so we wouldn't get gluten inadvertently, and was super careful, he splashed some beer into the pan at the last minute because it looked a little dry. Ugh! Can I tell you how demoralizing it was for me and my son to have smelled that glorious smell for hours and hours, only to have to eat reheated enchiladas from the night before. (At least he fessed up and told us right away.)

I'm just resigned now to having to tote along everything we will eat at the event.

Oh... and what finally helped us get people to realize the importance of avoiding cross-contamination was to use the phrase "it's like a peanut allergy." (We, of course, know it's not an "allergy," but this puts things in a context they can understand.

11. jcanolson

Sorry if my earlier post seemed harsh...long day, sick child, but my feelings remain the same...just could have been a bit more diplomatic.:p

We've been blessed with grandparents who try very hard at family dinners to make sure it is as gf as possible. Thanksgiving was tricky because of the fav stuffing, but they have discovered that it doesn't have to be IN the bird to taste good. I personally don't get the stuffing thing, but I guess I grew up on Stove Top. Gravy is made with corn starch, and most of the rest is naturally gf.

I usually take over desserts..at least the ones I know my children will want.

Sorry for the additional holiday stress. Hope you get it worked out!

12. Jordansmom

Oh no not harsh at all. I actually have some of the same frustration with my family. They won't try at all! There have been times despite many conversations where we showed up with a gluten free dessert and there was not one other thing my son could eat. Numerous times he had to leave and eat at a restaurant and come back for the family event. Now that does make me angry. He won't eat there anymore and I don't blame him.

Caldercup, thanks for the pumpkin pie recipe. That's exactly what I was hoping to find. I love my gluten free bisquick.

13. jcanolson

14. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Last year for thanksgiving, we did gluten free pie crusts made with the Jules Gluten Free flour. At Christmas, we did cheesecake for dessert, and made the crust with cinnamon chex. Both were very good.

You might check in your area...where my parents live in Reno, there is a local gf bakery/cafe and they have premade piecrusts for sale. We might try that this year, because even though we loved the Jules pie crusts we made....it is a lot of work! I like to patronize the businesses that have gluten free items, and it will make our holiday a little less stressful.

btw-the Bakery is called "Haven on Earth" and it is in Reno/Sparks NV area. If you are ever in the area...try it. They have great bread, cookies, donuts & such. Also sell sandwiches/pizza.

Kim

15. jcanolson

Cinnamon Chex for a cheesecake crust....I must try this!!!:D:D

16. Jordansmom

Great ideas. Thanks for letting me know.

17. Caldercup

I love Jules!

I make Martha Stewart's pate brisee for my crusts and just substitute (weight-for-weight) with Jules. So, if a recipe calls for a cup of flour, I measure 125 grams of Jules flour and it usually works out great.

18. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We do too!
    We recently made bread with the bread mix that she sells....in the past, we have made it with the flour & her recipes...but this last one we did with her mix & the yeast that comes with it...it was the most beautiful loaf we have ever made with her flour!