- advertisement -

Study showing vaccinations can cause autoimmunity

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charlotte'sMom, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I actually know someone who chose not to get her children vac for whooping cough (and several others). Guess what? All the children (all under age 6 including a 6 month old) got whooping cough. Then mom because her boosters were never followed up on. They we quarantined in their own home, only those who had proof of vaccine were able to go bring them food and help them out.

Here in our state we've had a Hep B outbreak because of a drug using hospital employee who was infected with Hep B. He was using needles then putting them back and they were used on people. Hundreds of people have to be tested now and many have been infected.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I have been following this on the news - over 40 patients now have been infected...

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

There is always going to be a subset of people who believe that vaccines are inherently dangerous and are always hoping that the next big study confirms that so they can feel good about their "mommy gut" being right all this time. I mean, we could discover tomorrow that synthetic insulin is dangerous, that bananas are carcinogenic, or that iPhones render you sterile. But there is no evidence that any of those things is true, and there is no evidence that in situations where there are no concrete contraindications that the risks of vaccines outweigh the benefits.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Poetic justice.

It would be interesting to know if the parents' views on vaccines have evolved..

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Here's my 2 cents, my Grandfather and 2 of his sisters ALL had Type 1, 1 died in the 30's, 1 in 1961(Grandfather), and the other in the 80's. None had vaccinations, I had 1 vaccination when I was 5(vaccinations weren't available before that, and my older siblings only each got 1 as well), and none since. I ONLY have Type 1, no other issues with autoimmune.
    I personnally feel it's hereditary(even if you don't know of a distant relative) and caused by a trigger. BTW, I'm the only one with any type of Type 1 in over 100 decendents, since my grandparents generation.(there was a great aunt on my Dad's side as well with Type 1)just my 2 pennies worth

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm having a hard time reconciling your "hereditary" and none of 100 in 2 or 3 generations have it".

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Current thinking is you inherit a predisposition to developing Type 1 D, with unknown trigger(s) causing it to manifest..

8. Beach bum

Sadly, no.

9. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I don't think that's very fair. There are risks either way. You don't know what reasons those parents had for not getting the vaccine, whether they had a family history that put their children at higher risk of injury. They may very well be more comfortable with the illness than the shot. Your response lacks understanding and compassion.

That would probably be the equivalent of me telling the parents of a child with a vaccine injury, "I told you so."

10. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

I agree. At least for me the choice not to vaccinate came after hours and hours of research. And still it did not come easy. Prior to my son having D it was one of the hardest decisions I had to make as a parent. I didn't just read the standard "anti-vax" literature. I went to the CDC read their stuff, many health departments, many different doctors, etc. I looked at the particular diseases, are they treatable with antibiotics, etc.

[For example, this from the CDC, from 1980-1999 there were 162 cases of paralytic polio in the US, 8 were eight cases were acquired outside the United States and imported. The remaining 154 cases were vaccine-associated paralytic polio (VAPP) caused by live oral poliovirus vaccine (OPV) - which we haven't used in the US since 2000]

There are risks to both choices. If there wasn't any risks to vaccinations there wouldn't be a vaccine injury compensation program. I have the upmost respect for anyone who makes an informed decision, either way, to vaccinate or not; but many parents I know don't make the decision, they let the government do it for them. They get vaccinated because that's what they are "supposed to do" and they don't even question it, or don't even read the side effects listed in the package insert of the vaccines before they proceed.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Perhaps you didn't intend to be arrogant and presumptive, but this^ is.

Yes, you are a model parent and the rest of the parenting universe... sheeple.:rolleyes: Lucky for you those "sheeple" make up a herd and for now at least, protect your children from the rampant spread of infectious, and sometimes deadly, disease.

12. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

Sorry if my tone was that of arrogance, it was not intended. I just was stating that it was a tough decision that I, and many others, do not take lightly.

13. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I am the only one, since, except my father being diagnosed on his death bed after a massive heart attack, since he only lived a week after, I tend to forget he was Dx'd by ANOTHER TRIGGER(Thanks Wilf for getting it).
    My triggers, we think, were German measles, regular measles, mumps and chicken pox all during the same month!

14. Daddy RRT

Daddy RRT Approved members

Was this the Cath Lab tech at Exeter Hospital? Not to split hairs, but I think it was Hep C...

15. Beach bum

I stand corrected, it was.

However, you can see how easily an outbreak can occur.

16. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

As I read this I can't help but think some poor science is being pushed. The anti vaccine movement has been regularly debunked as pseudo science without peer review. Do we know everything about vaccines, no, but they have changed the world our grandparents lived in. My grandfather lost 4 of 10 siblings,2 to diabetes as young children, 1 to the flu and one to polio. I do not mind if you risk your family's health but I do not wish to see folks influenced by an article that looks genuine but in all likelyhood is motivated by the authors political, religious or monetary goals.

17. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

At the very least, the science shows that we need to be asking a lot more questions. I asked about this one study here because it had to do with autoimmunity, which we all are unfortunately too familiar with. Here's an interesting article about what we do and don't know about aluminum's affect on the immune system, and how it may be related to a number of chronic illnesses in children. We don't know for certain if aluminum is to blame for the TH dysfunction in those disorders, but it certainly looks suspicious and at the very least we should be doing more research. And (IMHO) we should be more cautious about the vaccine schedule (either delaying or spacing them ou) until some of these questions are answered. As a PP pointed out, the current vaccine schedule is written the way it is because parents are more likely to get their kids immunized during the many well-baby visits that are done from birth to age 2, and not because that's been shown to be the safest or most appropriate time to do them.

The flu shot has been shown to be only as a effective as a placebo in children under the age of 2, yet the CDC recommends it annually starting at 6 months. WHY? This one really bothers me. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that maybe the CDC's current recommended schedule is more influenced by pharmaceutical companies' profits than my child's health. Why else do they push vaccines that have been proven to be useless?

18. swellman

swellman Approved members

Your "interesting" article is intentionally inflammatory and misleading and, worst of all, leaves zero possibility to address their "concerns" while maintaining the overall and unquestionable benefit to society from vaccination.

It's obvious reading this article that it uses about a dozen or more method for scaring the reader and improperly associating various components in vaccines - thimerosal being the first big WOOOOOO isn't even used any more. The next goal post is Aluminum and then from there on down the list.

If one doesn't understand the history of the organization and the motivation behind this article or the horrible, biased information contained therein then I guess I can see how that might worry someone.

The bottom line is that it has been clinically shown that vaccines DO NOT cause an increase in the occurrence in T1D. We know that.

If one has a predisposition to conspiracy theory (FDA making rules to profit "Big Pharma" (Hint, the mere use of the term "Big Pharma" is a big red flag) or choose to ignore all the good science then nothing anyone says is going to overcome one's confirmation bias.

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Time to close this thread, because the topic of vaccinations (a) is not the purpose of the CWD Forums, (b) the data to date show clearly that vaccinations against human disease do not increase the risk of developing type 1 diabetes (link below), and (c) the reference in the original post was about injecting a poison, not a vaccine against a disease, and therefore is not even on the same topic as vaccines against illness.

The data to date on vaccines and type 1 diabetes is summarized here, with links to the science:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_112.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.