- advertisement -

Study Abroad for High School Student

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Juliefx, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Juliefx

Juliefx Approved members

Hi, I just sent my 12th grader off to Ecuador for a semester abroad. She is living with a family (I don't know them) and attending high school in Quito. I can't even describe how nervous I am, but she has begged to do this for 3 years. We packed her up with 5 months of supplies and off she went. Has anyone else been through this??

Julie

2. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

My boss has an American nephew is in Quito who has lived there for quite sometime now, I'll get his name and pm you with it as soon as I talk to my boss which may be a week (he's traveling starting tomorrow) but at least you can give her a name of an American to get in touch with if she begins to feel lonely. He is originally from North Carolina and has raised his family in Quito.

3. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Quito has some beautiful landscapes with awesome volcanoes. I spent a week there a couple of years ago on a mission trip.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time and her life is greatly enriched. I will pray that her diabetes stay in control with no complications during her stay.

P.S. Tell her to take toilet paper with her wherever she goes. Wet wipes, too!

4. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I think it's wonderful you did this! She is in 12th grade and is quickly becoming an adult. If she has the knowledge and judgement to care for her disease in a foreign setting you have done an awesome job! I'm sure it's scary, but we all have to let our kids go sometime. Let us know how she does!

5. Boo

Boo Approved members

I am so glad to hear that she is doing this! I know my son would love to do something similar someday. I hope everything goes well for her. :cwds:

6. lisalotsamom

lisalotsamom Approved members

Wow, Julie---good for you! I haven't been through it as a parent, although we do have one in college and another set to go next year, but they aren't the ones with diabetes.
    But, I was an exchange student myself for my junior year of high school. I went to Australia, and stayed with 4 different families for about 3 mos each. It was through the Rotary International Club exchange program, and was amazing. That experience changed my life---made me more outgoing, independent, and after that, leaving for college was no big deal at all.
    Prayers for your daughter to have a wonderful experience, and that there are no problems at all with any diabetes issues!