- advertisement -

Student with No Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by jessika72, May 10, 2008.

1. jessika72

jessika72 Approved members

Hi, Im a 25 year old student in California with no insurance. I was covered under California Children's Services until i was 21, and then was insured under my student health services at my college until August 2007. Now I have no doctor and no insurance and still have 2.5 years left of school. Im at a loss as to what to do. I was getting my Lantus for free and would still qualify for it, but I need a doctor to write the Rx, and the test strips are very expensive as well. The other drugs I am ok paying for out of pocket.

If anyone has any Ideas as to how I can get a doctor or Rx for a reasonable price, please let me know. I am in Los Angeles and I called some endocrinologists when I first moved to town and I was told it would be between $300-$350 for the consultation, seeing as I live on loans, I cant afford that.

Any advice is welcome.

2. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

3. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Can you qualify for Medicare or Medical?

This is one of the reasons our health care system needs a complete overhaul.

I am so sorry you have to worry about getting your meds that YOU NEED TO LIVE.

4. jessika72

jessika72 Approved members

I do not qualify for medical because I am a full time student and not working full time, and because I have no kids and am over the cut off age. I will look into the high risk pool (after finals), I heard that they have recently changed their guidelines so I wont get cut off after 36 months, but I have also heard that their premiums are between 250 and 450 a month.

I completely agree that our health care system needs an overhaul... I will be better covered in Europe this summer while I am studying abroad then I am in my own country... thats so sad.

Thank you guys for the Ideas.