- advertisement -

Student Ambassadors

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Sunni, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Sunni

Sunni Approved members

Hi everyone I haven't posted in a while but I lurk here every day reading your excellent advice. Also since I have read and used your guys' advice and been put on a pump my a1c has came down. I also I am now in counceling trying to work on several problems both related to d (why I wasn't taking proper care of it) and others that aren't and it is working very well.

This summer I was offered to be a student ambassador for Wyoming and we would be traveling and studying in England, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland during the summer of 2012. I won't know much more about it until I go to the meeting on the 27th in Gillette though. This is also the second year I've been offered to do this the first time was for Italy, France, Switzerland and Austria. By the time this would be happening I will be 16 and would be going into 11th grade if everything goes well this year(I am in 10th grade) (if any of that makes a difference).

I guess I am wondering would you let one of your kids go if they had the opportunity D or noD? What would your concerns be? What questions would you ask at the meeting if this was you?

thanks Cheryl

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

My older dd got one of those letters years ago, she was so excited.what a honor to have ben chosen. Then she found out the kid down the street was also selected.he had poor grades skipped school,etc,etc.

Its a scam, they just want your money. And I think there may be a thread in here from many years ago where they refused CWD medical care.child became very sick.parents had no communication with child.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I would definitely do some searching on the organization sponsoring this. We've gotten letters saying my kids have been chosen for various things (pagents, who's who books etc.) and as Fran says it turned out everyone got the letter and it was all aboout money. I'm sorry...don't mean to burst your bubble, just want you to be careful :)

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I would advise careful research into whatever organization is offering this. It *sounds* like P2P. While I know of several people who have done P2P tours without issues, there is that article...and I do know personally one particpant who was part of a very loosely chaperoned tour.

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I would also be careful and do LOTS of research on the group that you would be travelling with.

That being said, my neice just returned from a Semester Abroad in Italy and had an incredible time (she is 20). Enjoying an incredible experience like that is something that I would TOTALLY let me CWD do. I think I would feel more comfortable waiting until he is in college and has shown that he can handle his diabetes care 100% independantly though.