- advertisement -

Stuck key on Omnipod PDM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Catiesmom, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

We were at a picnic and it was very hot today, and while bolusing for lunch the error message popped up, something like, Error, Stuck Key, Call 1-800-something for Technical Support. The message faed and went out and then I panicked - did she get her bolus? Is this thing dead?

I pushed the on button again and it came on and gave me a status and said bolus delivered and no more stuck key error message.

Do I still call Tech support? It's working ever since for the rest of the day, several more boluses, BG's ok, but will it die again? I have my animas pump for backup and I wrote down all the current basals etc, just in case.

Has this happened to anyone else? The PDM is only a month old.

Catie, almost 11 and growing fast
    dx 6/19/09, Animas Ping since 9/28/10, Dexcom since 10/14/11, Omnipod since 6/11/12

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

I think you should call them and let them know what happened and see what they say. They will overnight you a new one if necessary. I would just keep using your current one and see what happens. we have gotten error messages but not that particular one. Don't wait to call, they are there 24/7 to help.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

We get those on occasion ... we just punch the keys to get them unstuck.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

This has happened to us a few times. About a year ago we had 3 stuck keys in a few days and they overnighted us a replacement PDM without any problems. This past month we had 10 stuck keys in 2 weeks. I called after the 3rd one and they documented it and said everything was fine. After the 7th one I called again, they said the same thing. :rolleyes: Right after the 10th stuck key, I called back and demanded a new PDM, considering there were so many in such a short period of time. After a bit of discussion, they finally decided to send one. Last year they were a lot easier to deal with - not sure why they are being more difficult....

5. swellman

Some people put the PDM in a case and the case holds the key down causing a stuck key error.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is the first I have heard of this. What case is causing the stuck key error? Every stuck key we have had is after we have pushed a few keys and the PDM is never in the case when this occurs......

7. swellman

Any case with a clear (not that it matters) band that holds it in place and that band might slip around the keys. If it's too tight it will push in on the keys - naturally.

EDIT: Half the time we never take the PDM out of it's case.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I've had this happen a few times, it clears itself.I"ve never called customer service. When I push the button again, it just resumes.
    I've seen it happen maybe 4 or 5 times over 2 years.

9. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

we're been with Omnipod for almost 4 years and occasionally the stuck key thing happens.....I just toggle the keys and it pops back. I've spoke to them in the past, and they said it didn't affect insulin delivery, (which was correct).

The only time we had the PDM replaced was when she was outside selling girl scout cookies in the winter, had the pdm in a pouch around her waist, under her snowsuite and the screen said it was too cold to test....they replace it for that.

Good luck! I think you're fine!

10. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Exactly that, and I do call so they can log it so I can get a new PDM after a few stuck keys.
    Leslie