- advertisement -

Stubborn lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lynnieg123, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

Arden has had the stomach bug twice in 3 weeks. At least we think this last time was the stomach bug again. She keeps having these stubborn lows that take several rounds of glucose to recover from. Is this normal with feeling ill and not eating much or is it maybe a growth spurt or something? It is driving us crazy. She had her normal breakfast of waffles and syrup today and I didn't cover it all. 2 hours later, BG was 45. 3 glucose tabs and 15 minutes later, BG of 54, 2 more tabs and 15 mintues, BG 56. low fat milk and 10 minutes, BG is 71. What the heck? Anyone have some words of wisdom?

Thanks,

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Less insulin is needed at meals until she recovers. You said you didn't cover it all, the next step is to cover even less until she doesn't have the lows any longer.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

First time this happened to my son was before I found this forum, and I could not get in contact with his endo. Ended up freaking out and taking him to the ER...only to learn later that it was just his diarrhea that was causing the unresponsive lows (food not being absorbed...so no carbs). Took a week or so to get him back to normal. Just lots of checking and very conservative (or no) boluses as you've been doing. No pre-bolusing until things get back to normal.