- advertisement -

Stress??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zet, Nov 18, 2006.

1. zet

zet Approved members

Can stress make a childs sugar numbers go up? I find that my little guy worries alot about things and when he worries, his sugars are always high. I am talking in the 400's sometimes. Just wondering if stress can be a factor.:confused:

2. pookas

pookas Approved members

Yes, it definately can raise BG's. So can playing video games. Hunter goes up to mi-d 300's from the adrenaline rush playing video games somtimes :D

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

We get highs we think are stress - or excitement. William used to get a "Target high" - he was so excited if we went to Target - LOL! That was when he was about 2.5 yrs old and Target wasn't so close to us.

The other day we had some very bad weather go through and one wind gust sounded like a train going by the house - it knocked over our patio set and the swingset in the yard. Hearing that I called to William (and a friend of his over playing) to all go in the basement. William got scared and started crying a bit - all of this lasted about a minute. He had been fine when I had tested him about 30 mins before that episode. About 30 mins after he was in the 300's and I think it was stress.

It does take a correction to get him down when that happens. I've seen others say they don't correct and their kids go down on their own - never had that happen that we know of.

4. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Anything that can cause a chemical change in the body can effect b/g's. So I'd say stress can definately do it.

5. astodder

astodder Approved members

Stress can definitely make the BS increase...the bodies response to any stress (good or bad) is to react with the "fight or flight" response so that the body increases the BS so that it has the "fuel" to do whatever it needs to.....

6. margaret

margaret Approved members

STRESS, major factor !!!!

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've had one major argument with my mother since diagnosis. Before, I'd checked and was at around 120. While she was yelling I felt dizzy and left, checked my blood sugar and it was 299! I left it be and did stuff for an hour while feeling pretty mad and obsessing over what she'd said, checked and it was 301, figured I'd be doing massive correction with lunch (at that time I only corrected while doing mealtime injections). But by lunch an hour later, I'd calmed done, and my bg was down again to 119. So I think the stress of being angry made me go high.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

yes, stress can make your numbers go up, as can excitement..

9. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

MAJORLY!!!

During our first pump class, we had to insert an infusion set as practice. I had just checked Mia's BG and it was in the 120 range if I remember correctly. Mia got extremely scared and stressed out about me inserting the big fat needle (comfort set, regular lenght!!) of the infusion set. It was a 20 minute ordeal before we were done, and we were both emotionally exhausted. She didn't look good to me, so I checked her again. Guess what. She was over 300!!!

Another incident happened with school the other morning. After using the car line for the first time to drop Mia off (it was POURING), Mia's BG had risen into the mid 300s from the excitement/stress of having to walk to the front gate "alone"...

10. Karin

Karin Approved members

Scott goes super duper high with excitement and when he is angry.
    Once he had a tantrum because we were going out to dinner. It was a major tantrum. We checked him and he was in the 500's! Another time we were at a birthday party with a big tractor hayride. I was sitting on the edge of my seat worrying that he would go low because it was getting farther and farther past our dinner time. When I finally checked him before he ate---460! ( and that was before he ate a piece of birthday cake).

11. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Adreneline, associated with competition can also make you go high.

12. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Yes. We find that Ben's levels sky rocket if he's stressed out or uncomfortable.

When he started Montessori in September, it took 2 weeks to get his bg's down due to stress and excitement.
    The first time we went on a holiday with Ben after D, he was just over 18 months old. His levels were through the roof for the whole holiday because of stress.

<<<sigh>>>

13. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

When Julia was really producing quite a bit of her own insulin stress of any kind would drop her really low. Now that she is kind of coming out of the honeymoon it is swinging the other way, and now stress gives us higher numbers. Go figure.