- advertisement -

strange taste in water & odd feeling in stomach?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tina, Apr 9, 2013.

1. tina

tina Approved members

Sorry the very amorphous title.

My 5 yo has ben type 1 for about 1.5 years. For the first time, in the last few months, we have gotten much better control over his blood sugar and are seeing his A1C start to decline gradually. Overall, we are avoiding to many highs and lows and he doesnt have any other complicating health issues.

However as of late he keeps noting the following symptoms:

He says "I feel a little funny" then he points to his abdominal section directly under his Xiphoid Process. I probed around other parts of his belly and he kept coming back to that spot. He says it doesnt hurt-it feels hollow and odd. He also drank water-first out of a bottle, then out of the tap and said both tasted very strange. After eating a bowl of ramen noodles, he said everything tasted normal again.

He says this happens every other day or so and it is a constant feeling that lasts for a little while, not a fluttery feeling that comes and goes. The few times he has told me, I immediately check his blood sugar and he is usually 150-160 (normal for him). He also isnt producing any urine ketones.

I dont note any other symptoms, except that he feels oddly enough to actually mention the issue. He said it doesnt feel like a low blood sugar.

We (of course) have an appt to see his ped in the next few days, but I thought I'd see if this sounded familiar or if it was an odd diabetes side effect others may have encountered or others had suggestions for additional things I should watch out for when he says he feels weird.

(I just realixed I should check his blood ketones as well)

2. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

My son had some discomfort/pain in the same area not too long after diagnosis. I finally convinced the doctor to at least do an x-ray and we found that his little bowels were really backed up. This was very surprising to me since he uses the bathroom every day, but the doctor said that just because he is "regular" doesn't mean everything is getting out that needs to come out (sorry I know that is too much information). She also said that his little body had been through quite a bit (referring to probably having elevated blood sugars for a while before diagnosis, really elevated blood sugars at diagnosis and now somewhat "normal" blood sugars) so it was probably trying to get back into a routine. She also had an ultrasound done to make sure his pancreas and appendix were normal which showed that his pancreas was enlarged which may have contributed to some of the discomfort, as well.

The only thing we did was take Miralax daily for two weeks and it seemed to do the trick.

I will say that he does still complain at times about stomach pain, but not often and it doesn't last very long. I was worried that the insulin may have been the culprit, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The doctor seems to think that it may be a touch of reflux, but it does not seem serious enough to take medication at this point.

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

I'm not sure where the xiphoid process is, but I have been reading these boards long enough that when I hear stomach pain I think possible celiac. Let us know how his doctor appt goes.

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

But eating ramen with celiac would make the stomach pain worse, not better, wouldn't it? Just a thought.

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

We don't have celiac to deal with, so believe me I am no expert in any way. The post said ramen made the food taste normal, not that it made the stomach better. I know there is a range of celiac symptoms that include gas, bloating, and pain after eating gluten, but I don't know much more than that. I don't know if it can effect the way food or water tastes. I know it is autoimmune like type 1 and the two are often found together. a friend recently told me food tasted bad because of a med she was taking and when she stopped taking the med food starting tasting normal again. Maybe someone who knows more about celiac could chime in, or better, the OP should bring it up with her doctor.