- advertisement -

Strange side effect of low?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiffanie1717, Mar 27, 2009.

1. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

So tonight my DH went upstairs to check on some nocturnal activity. He found my DS, Travis, in bed with my DD, Kylie. He picked up Travis and moved him to his bed. DH said he was totally out. So we went up and checked him because I wondered if he was low. He was. 48!

Do you think when you're low that you do things that are not normal like sleep walking? He had apparently just gotten up, walked in to Kylie's room and got into bed with her (they never sleep in the same bed so this is highly unusual). Just curious what your experiences were!

2. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

Never heard of a sleep walking low. Sweet that he went to visit his sis though:cwds:.

How is he doing? I know this is still so new for him. Does he recognize lows yet?

3. tiffanie1717

He is doing pretty good. He can recognize his lows most of the time in the day, but never in the night. We are struggling with activity. If he does any activity out of the norm, he tanks at night. Tonight he had a 1 1/2 hours of midget baseball practice. I gave him gatorade and he was 179 before bed (he had a bedtime snack and I treated him for the snack). 2 1/2 hours later and he is 48. (This wouldn't have been low without the baseball). We're trying to figure it out.

4. Andy

Andy New Member

I'm not a parent of a child with diabetes (my 3 don't have it yet & I hope never do) but I am very interested and perhaps can help some others with my experiences. I became Type I at 4 which was 54 years ago. Nighttime lows were very common when I was on MDI. Worse on 2 shots a day and no BG meters. They virtually disappeared when I started pumping 13 years ago. As far as sleepwalking with a low I have done that many times. Often not remembering that I have done it.
    I used MM pumps for 10 years and have been on the OmniPod system for over 3 years. I love it and it is a great system for kids of your age. On the OmniPod or the first time in my life I feel nondiabetic. If possible I would get them pumping as soon as you can. Best of luck.

One last thing, I'm not sure what you are using for snacks, but you might want to try something like crackers or bread and peanut butter that is absorbed slowly. Andy

5. Kateri's Mom

Kateri's Mom Approved members

Or maybe try not treating for the snack on the days that he has practice and see how that works...since he is going low maybe those extra carbs before he goes to bed will help him stay in range longer. I have found with my 8 yr old that she is more sensitive to insulin at dinnertime and after, so through trial and error...I have to give her more carbs/less insulin to keep her numbers stable until she wakes up. I have no idea if she feels the lows while sleeping (which is scary) but if she wakes up for any reason... i test her! I leave nothing to chance. My philosphy is trust but verify!!!!

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

with that much activity , you might want to try reducing insulin for the bedtime snack or fore go insulin all together - you can have delayed lows for activity which is what has happened, i think. Consider snacks like icecream that have fat and protein in them -Test lots to give you more info
    You need to look at what is happening before the activity too - (ie adjust insulin for about 2-3 hours before activity)

7. tiffanie1717

Hi Andy. We are planning to pump this summer - that is when our endo will give the thumbs up to start (she likes them to wait a few months). We let him choose his snack usually. We treat with juice in the night for ease of administering it, but last night after he was 48 and then 20 min later he was only 89, I made him wake up and eat 2 pb crackers and milk. :)

Thanks for the input, everyone. I definitely need to figure this out because we have just started baseball!! :)

8. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Good catch Dad :)

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

maybe he was off to find you, got confused from being tired and low, and found her bed, so climbed in??

10. tiffanie1717

Hmmm...could be! :) You never know!

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

that's what I was going to suggest. Sounds like he tried to wake up from that low and just wasn't fully awake. Ian tends to wander around when low at night..which scares the pants off me.