- advertisement -

Stomach virus....insulin resistance

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Reese'sMom, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

It's been years since I've been on this site. We have not had any problems that weren't easily managed in those years, thankfully.

But I'm baffled at the moment by the degree of insulin resistance my 12-year-old son is experiencing. He developed a severe stomach virus Saturday night, lots of vomiting...and blood sugar in the 400's. We went to ER and got admitted. They put him on IV hydration and gradually brought the glucose down.

We are home today (after aggressive blousing to get the #'s just to 250 and below)....but he keeps creeping back up into the 300's. I'm bolusing double, giving correction doses and I just upped the basal by 25%.

Anyone else had this happen? Any tips? Thank you.

2. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Usually with stomach bugs we see the opposite - fighting to keep blood sugars up. Maybe it's the beginning of puberty on top of being sick? I usually find that increasing my dd's basal by 25% doesn't do much. Maybe try doing a higher temp basal. I'm at a loss...

3. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Thank you....I'm confused as well, but the Dr. said stress hormones (from the virus, presumably) can cause insulin resistance. We've just never needed anywhere near this much insulin, and though the stomach bug seems to have passed, the insulin-resistance (or whatever it is) has not yet.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter's basal needs typically go to 160% during illness. I'm sure each child is individual, as well as each illness.

It's interesting he defined it as insulin resistance. My guess would have been that the liver was pumping out more sugar due to stress, thus requiring more insulin. The end result is the same either way, though, of needing more insulin than typical.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

How much does he weigh, and what is his total daily dose at this point (including all corrections)?