- advertisement -

stomach pain + fever ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaTuTu, Aug 9, 2011.

1. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

My DD has been complaining about stomach pain "my tummy hurt" is what she says this has been going on for about a week. This morning she woke with a fever, I took her to her primary care doc and he thinks we just need to wait it out. Her sugars are good no keytones and she has been resting a lot. She has had high fever going as high as 104 she did eat a bit of rice 2 saltteens crackers Popsicle, and 3 oz of chicken broth. Now she is telling me "my tummy hurt" again. Have any of your children with diabetes had any issues with stomach pain and fever that I should ask her Endo or primary doc about?

2. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

I would take her to the primary care doc or at least call them. A week is kind of a long time for her to be sick. I would be concerned about appendicitis.

3. MamaTuTu

I did take her this morning... was wondering if any of your cwd have ever had anything like this go on.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven used to get awful gas pains when he was younger but no fever. That sounds like a tummy bug but it shouldnt be going on for a week. I would give the endo a call tomorrow and let them know what is going on. I think the primary doc should have some tests run if she's not feeling better in a couple days. Has she had any diarhea with the stomach pain? Vomiting?

5. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

We had this happen a few months ago. My son was complaining of stomach pains for close to a week. One night he was laying on the floor curled in a ball. Had a fever as well. I was worried it might be appendicitis or something so the next morning I took him to see his PCP. They too were concerned that it had been almost a week. They sent him for blood work and xrays to rule anything serious out. It turned out to be nothing. It went away on it's own a day or two later. If the fever and pain persist I would take her in again or to see a different doc and have them run tests to make sure it's nothing more serious.

Hope everything is ok and that your little one feels better soon.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Are her stools normal?
    Is the fever coming down?
    Anyone else ill?
    Sometimes Selah, especially when she was younger, would only have a hurt tummy when others had the stomach bug and were throwing up or loose stool. I think little ones have very strong immune systems so things can show up differently for them.
    But if no one else has been sick all week, that's a long time for a stomach virus not to show up in someone else. I'd be a little watchful for a systemic problem like appendix or even a bowel blockage. If her fever doesn't come down with tylenol and motrin staggered (your pediatrician can let you know dosages and how to do that, make sure it's acetyominifin (sp?) and ibuprofen, not two acetominefins) I would get her in somewhere ASAP. 104 is pretty high, my kids could never eat a thing at that temp.
    Hope she feels better soon, sorry I don't have better info for you.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Oh, Golly, One big thought!

Did they check for a UTI?

When Selah was that age, she often referred pain -- an ear ache gets described as a sore throat, a sore throat as an ear ache. A stomach ache could actually be a UTI, especially if it's gone to a bladder or kidney infection, and that would explain the fever. Diabetic kids are very prone to UTIs, the one time Selah got one it took two rounds of antibiotic to kick it entirely because the bacteria feed off the sugar in the urine.

If the doctor didn't and won't do it, there's a home test you can buy in the drug store (near the women's and contraceptive products, usually), you can put cotton balls in the diaper and collect urine to sample (I think this will work for the UTI test, it does for ketones, but the UTI test might need "fresh" urine so check directions).

Hopefully they checked that already.

8. MamaTuTu

her only symptoms are stomach pain and fever I think UTI is deff a possibility I will call first thing in the morning and ask for them to check that! Thank you to all who took time to try and help answer my questions

9. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

If you really think it's a UTI and have a good relationship with the doctor, you can call and ask them if they can call in an antibiotic. If a home test comes back positive they may call one in, or they might just think it's reasonable and call one in anyway.

Hope she's feeling better.:cwds:

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Hope this is all resolved today and she's feeling better without any extra tests or medicines!
    And that you got some sleep last night!