- advertisement -

Stomach Issues

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AmandaF, Aug 19, 2013.

1. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

Hey all

DS is newly DX'ed. We found out that he had T1D sort of by accident. We really thought that he had some sort of milk allergy or something. One of the symptoms that really concerned us was stomach pain.

Once blood work came back and we discovered it was D it made sense. The Dr did run a test for Celiac's that came back negative.

Anyway, 2 questions:
    1. Are stomach pains common in the beginning of DX. We are at week 5. Maybe the body trying to get use to the insulin?

2. Does anyone know if you are tested for Ceiliac's and it comes back negative does that mean you will NEVER get it? or is it something that you may not have it now, but you can develop it later? (I hope that makes sense)

We do have 2 Dr appointments coming up so of course we are going to discuss the tummy problems, but I am curious if anyone else has had the problem.

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

There are some rare cases of celiac disease that come back negative and yes you can have a negative result but still get celiac disease later on in life. This happened to my cousin she wasn't tolerating gluten and came back negative few times and then finally came back positive.

Are you sure it isn't hunger pains? When I was having symptoms one of them was that I was always hungry and to the point that my stomach hurt from being beyond starving even after I ate. This subsided once I started insulin though, but maybe could be different when you're younger since he's growing and there are so many different hormones going on in his body...

3. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

It's so hard to tell with kids..... It's hard for them to explain things.... I do however have a small feeling that it is hunger pains. He lost 23 pounds and lately I think he eats more than a linebacker :D The Dr. did tell us that he would eat a ton for awhile until things settle down, good lord she wan't lying... LOL

He just got back from D-camp on Saturday and his 3 counselors told us that he ate more than them... and they are 3 college kids.... HAHAHAHAHA I am really hoping that it is just that and my wallet is hoping he will finally get full and slow down... HAHAHAHA

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

Another thing that causes stomach upset is ketones. Just a heads up because I don't know if he has been running high. Have you tested him for ketones?

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

When my son has ketones he feels sick to his stomach and flu-ish. He did have vomiting and felt ill at diagnosis, and I always assumed it was the ketones.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

23 lb weight loss prior to dx? That's pretty shocking. Did your endo address this in your meal planning?

7. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

Ketones haven't been a huge issue. If he is high and we test they are at trace. It seems the tummy will hurt no matter where this glucose range is!!!

I will say the weight loss was over a year. It was a steady decline and at first the Pediatrician was not worried because he was going through a big growth spurt and his baseball schedule got a lot more involved. (4 days a week) He was maybe 10 lbs heavier than he should have been last year. However, it was the 3 or 4 months before DX that he lost a big chuck of the weight (15lbs)

Anyway, a lot of tests were run to check things out and everything else seemed to be ok. Our endo said we would watch him closely for a bit, but she thinks that he will gain a good amount back quickly. He was not put on a meal plan yet and they told us to let him eat what he wants for now and not to worry about carb ranges per meal. We do go back to her at the end of the month and at that point we will meet with the nutritionist and go over some guild lines.

He has gained about 5 lbs back.... Most of which I think was from D-camp last week... HAHAHAHAHA

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

They do tend to eat voraciously once insulin is started.

I really do hope that they are watching this. A pediatrician's rule of thumb is that weight loss exceeding 10% in a child is cause for serious concern, regardless of the reason. My son lost 12# (which was EXACTLY) 10% of his body weight - and he was already slender at 13. At diagnosis, he looked emaciated. I can't imagine an 8 year old losing almost twice that amount. My pediatrician would have been freaking right out.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, the 23 pound weight loss is really very concerning to me. For your average 8 year old, that is about 40% of their body weight. I guess that as long as your doctor is aware and monitoring it, I'd just keep an eye on it and hope that he continues to put on weight. He must have been skeletal at diagnosis!

10. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I know that for my son if his BG is high and he comes down quickly that will cause some stomach issues for him.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This is kind of a long shot but........sometimes in children (and adults too) anxiety is manifested psychosomatically (meaning physical complaints). Is it possible he is stressed about something and it is being reflected in his stomach pains? You could sit down and have a talk with him about how he is feeling about things and maybe get some answers there. Good luck.

12. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

That was a thought I had also!!!!!! Sometimes I think that he is taking all of this too well!!!!! He is pretty good at talking to us about his feelings and so on but maybe we should think about letting the psychologist at the Endo's office talk with him. I am sure it wouldn't hurt!!!!

We do have a Dr. appointment with the pediatrician today for a weight check and the stomach!!!!! He is being closely monitored for the weight. All initial labs look good so that is a positive start!!!

13. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Quick blood sugar fluctuations cause my daughter to feel sick to her stomach. Going up and going down.