- advertisement -

Stomach Bug and Wacky BG Numbers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Well, we've been fighting a stomach virus since Thrusday. He threw-up Thursday after dinner, Friday morning and middle of night, Sat. after dinner, and then Monday middle of night, plus diarrhea during the days. Ugh!! We had ketones a little bit but took care of those with advice from endo. I'm posting because I'm wondering if other people have the same experience with low, low BG numbers and reduced insulin needs during stomach bug. As of this morning, andy is getting 1/2 his "regular" basal amount during the day and we've changed the I:C ratio from 1:12 to 1:30 and with same amount of carbs, we are getting good numbers. Over the weekend, the amount of insulin was even less, and carb amounts were almost double his usual and we were still fighting to stay over 70. I find that absolutely amazing! I assume his insulin needs will slowly return to "normal" but who knows?? Anybody else see this pattern and why the heck does it happen?

2. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

Same happened with us. We had to run her basal at 60% and she didn't get any boluses for her carbs. She still ran low. The wonderful people on here said it was an absorption issue. The endo said the exact same thing. With stomach bugs they don't absorb the nutrients/carbs from the food. As soon as she got better she started running high. From lows to high. It sure is stressful!! I hope your child feels better very soon.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

That happened to us a couple of weeks after diagnosis, except the doses never went back to where they had been. I think it was a combo of the bug and just post-dx reduction (she didn't really have a honeymoon).

4. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

thanks guys. It's so wacky. Not sure when to expect the insulin needs to go back up. That's very interesting about the body not absorbing the carbs/nutrients. I think we're on the mend now and hopefully we're done with the lows! Would rather see highs at this point so I know he's coming out of it!

5. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We had the same thing occur with a stomach bug over Thanksgiving. It was well over a month before her needs went back to what they were before the bug. It was a strange time!

6. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

We just got rid of the same thing....stomach bug, low bg's to the point I was giving no insulin for almost 3 days ! Such a strange thing to happen, to see normal bg's w/o insulin . It was our 1st illness since dx...I learned a lot!:cwds:

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

What you're seeing is quite common with gastrointestinal illnesses. There is kind of like a honeymoon period after the illness where insulin needs are much lower and the D is much easier to manage. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)