- advertisement -

still new, so the 2 hrs after eatting, what should their range be? -m

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tsoccer5, Apr 27, 2010.

1. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

My daughter is 7 and they still have morning snack at school, she
    is not on a pump yet so we just send a 15carb "free" snack...
    if she does NOT have that snack she is then low at lunch
    BUT if she tests at snack time (it is about 1.5 hours after
    breakfast) then she is high (200s)

she eats basically every 2 hrs because she still sleeps 12 hours each night
    so we hardly ever get that true 2 hrs after eatting test, or we do get it exactly at 2 hours

we stopped doing cereal for breakfast (we use it as a snack now) because it was leaving her so high...

she also has celiac so everything is corn/brown rice which I know are harder to do too.

TIA
    Trish

PS she should get a pump in July but she is kind of honeymooning right now, but still food sensitive

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You are seeing the higher sugars 2 hours after eating because the timing -- the food has a head start on the insulin.

Most Type 1s go higher after eating because the food is digested and starts to raise the blood sugar before the insulin can lower it. It is a balancing act. All anyone can do is mitigate the problem by prebolusing -- giving the insulin before the meal. This seems to be especially true for breakfast.

When tested 1.5 hours after eating, the insulin from breakfast as well as the Lantus is still working to lower the sugar, but the food is ahead of the game. Eventually, the food is digested and the insulin fully effective (usually in 3 hours) and the sugar is normal again.

I am happy when my son goes to the 160s a couple of hours after eating. He almost always comes back down.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

It's been so long ago that William was on shots I hesitate to answer but I think it might help others to answer if you say what types of insulin your child is using.

Breakfast is the hardest meal of the day for most people with type 1. Ideally you want the two hour number to not be so high of course - but it sounds like you can't give more insulin if the lunch number is not only in range but she needs a snack or will go low.

Perhaps tweaking with the breakfast food as well as the insulin will help - if she will eat some slower acting carbs (eggs, cheese) with breakfast.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

about 90 min after breakfast she is 200? that seems about reasonable. A better judge is at 3 or 4 hours and she's going low then, right? So you either need that morning snack, or you need to lower the morning novolog or you need less lantus.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Two hours after eating, she should be 50 points higher then when she starter - no higher then 80, no lower then 30...and that is aggressive. I honestly wouldn't worry about a 2oo 1 1/2 hours later being to high, if anything, depending n her starting #, it could be to low.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

What insulins is she on?

7. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

This happens to us too, except we are usually higher than 200 1-1/2 hrs after breakfast esp if he wakes in the 100's. But by lunch he's in range (sometimes low) cause NPH is kicking in. factor in 10am snack also. We were told not to give humalog any more than 5-10mins before meal due to immediate acting? Should we give it sooner so it can catch up w/ meal? Does anyone do this?