- advertisement -

Still having Hypo Unawareness - Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Trev, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Trev

Trev Approved members

I am still having this issue with our youngest Type 1 who is now 6. Last night, well early am today 3 am to be precise, I was up having my own low, after treating myself, I did a random check on her, she was 2.8 mmol (multiply by 18 for USA) Devine intervention or what! Anyhow, just asking if any other member have this issue with their wee one. Thanks in advance. I did discuss this at http://www.three2treat.com/2011/02/my-kid-cant-feel-her-lows.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Grace was starting to have this issue - was having highs followed by lows, then not feeling shaky or weak just "weird" when she would be in 40s and 30s:eek::eek:

With 3 in your house, I would recommend continuous glucose monitors, or a very good diabetic dog.

Mb your low was divine intervention so you could check your little one.

Best wishes to you and your family.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I went through a long period of time pretty much totally hypo unaware, even at BGs below 1.5 and 'LO'. The thing which made it better was CGMS. Not only does it catch my lows for me, but I've regained some hypo awareness. I now am usually able to feel lows at somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0.

4. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

Ryan is hypo unaware. It freaks me out. We have the Dexcom, but I haven't had it on him for a few days since we just started pumping. I wanted him to have a little break...but man, I miss that thing.

5. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Since you don't have a CGMS, have you tried running him higher for a couple of weeks to reverse the hypo unawarness? Just a thought I don't know how successful it would be but it is the only thing I have ever read to do for the hypounawarness. Being d yourself with 2 d children this may be old news but it was the only thing I had to offer!:cwds:

6. Trev

Trev Approved members

Thanks

I have the Medtronic Pump and sensor for her, but zero coverage for the supplies. With a house of five kids, money is tight. I am hoping the Dex will be available soon in Canada, as I do hear that it is a bit more kid friendly, as the other sensors are like getting out the hammer and giant nail, if you know what I mean. Thanks for all your suggestions. I did a lit search, and so far it is a deficient or immature counter regulatory nervous system response. Very little info I could find other then it can effect teens and young children. I am just hopeful that her nervous system will mature before I go insane.
    Cheers, everyone have a great day!

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I am hypo unaware, even with a CGM.. wearing one hasn't fixed that, but I am able to spot downward trends easier and most likely prevents a lot of hypos before they happen, but I still get woken up with the dex screaming "low" at me more often than I'd like to.

it is what it is, and I'm thankful that I have the CGM to help.

ETA, I should also add that I've never been able to really feel lows, even in the beginning - I feel totally normal in the 50's and 60's, and it isn't really until I hit the low 30's that I'd start realize something is "off".