- advertisement -

sticking site?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by munchkingirl, Jan 26, 2006.

1. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

I actually had my infusion set get ripped out this week while playing a running game. This isn't the first time that I have gotten it to come out - two other times it's just gotten kinda pulled out (though none of the time hurt at all) because the tubing got caught around a handle or something - I have talked to my pump person about this and evidentally I'm one of the rare ones who has issues making the infusion site stick well. I've got this stuff called tincture of Benzoine (or something weird like that.) and it's been working A LOT better, but my sites can still come out real easy. I've tried a lot of different things, but it still happens - it's not due to sweat or anything, just my skin type, i'm told. Does any one else have this issue? Or any advice???

2. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Thomas had that problem when he first started pumping.

Now he uses IV prep (makes the skin sticky) and then a clear film called IV 3000 or OpSite. He puts the IV 3000 on his skin before the infusion set. This has worked great for him.

3. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Thanks. Yeah, I have IV prep, I also have another kind of sticky thing that some people put over their sets - my pump person told me to put that ON the skin after cleaning it with iv prep and then put my site down on top of that- which i've done several times and that hasn't worked either. Then she told me to use the iv prep and tincture of benzoine - which has worked amazingly well - but still doesn't stick as well as she says it should be, and i think it should be - as my sites come off far too easy.

Sooo... ...I am TOTALLY open to more suggestions! :);)

4. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

In the summer when I am more active and my set dosen't stick quite as well, I also use the IV 3000. I put it over my set, just cut a hole out of the middle for the set, and put it on the tape part. It works great for me too, I ordered it from my pump company, Minimed, not sure where you could get it with your Animas tho... Anyway, it's by Smith and Nephew, maybe they have a website you can check out, might even have some other products you would like better!

Hope that helped!

5. kitty

kitty Approved members

Sometimes the adhesive prep stuff they use for people with colostmy bags works to keep the infusion tape on if you use an insulin pump.
    My Mom got some of this when I had to start using a pump to deliver medicine to reduce spasticity in my legs. BARD and Mentor make adhesive prep for colostmy bags. Go to www.a-med.com to see more about it. This might help becuase it makes the take stick to your skin really good.

Jessie:cool: