- advertisement -

Steroids and testing..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by irishmom, Mar 17, 2011.

1. irishmom

irishmom Approved members

Well back from dr.....Patrick has a MIDDLE ear infection...that is raging...also wheezing.....in an asthma attack....on top of strep last week.....so they gave him a neb of albuterol...then a shot of steroid.....and a whole script of steroids.....I do know that the steroid will elevate his bs tremendously....but now I wonder how often to test and how paten to correct ...I will be calling endo tonite for it seems our tri weekly update on new infections that Patrick has......just curious who else has had experience with steroid and bs.....

Thanks....
    Marcia

2. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

[curious who else has had experience with steroid and bs.....

Thanks....
    Marcia[/QUOTE]

Jesse was recently on steroids for mono( swollen throat to the point he couldnt drink).. approx 2 hrs after taking prednisone his bs started to rise... he doubled his basals.... then eventually went to a 250% increase.. and he took 2x the amount of insulin for his bolus's... BUT- YMMV... so I's start with a 150% increase once he starts the rise..... and play it by ear....It's not gonna be fun........ Check bs every 2 hrs....
    and I'm so proud that Jesse did this all on his own at college- 8 hrs away from home !! didnt want me to come help at all........

3. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

No, but I will be very interested to hear the answers you get, as my son has asthma and the same thing may happen to him! By the way it looks like our boys were dx very close in time.

4. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

steroids

Steroids triggered my son's diabetes. He was on it one time in his life, when his asthma flared up and he needed oral steroids, prednisone, to help get rid of the wheezing, which stuck around for about 2 months. He started having a lot of accidents and he was taking naps that were much longer than usual (he was 3 1/2 at the time). I took him for blood work around that time for something else, and his blood sugar ended up being 350. He was fine before the steroids. His endo. said that some people are more prone to diabetes and they need a trigger to set it off. Speak with his endo. before giving him the steroids and make some kind of plan what to do if his blood sugar goes too high. My son is currently using albuterol in a nebulizer because he is wheezing, and even though it's not a steroid, it's still causing his numbers to go very high (2 days ago it went up to 475, and we've been seeing more 300's than we would like).

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I have a lot of experience with steroids and meds for asthma for my son with diabetes and in our experience:

oral steroids like Prednisone - definitely make the BG go higher - William needs about triple his normal insulin across the board for basal and bolus. It is a scary to give him that much and the amounts sometimes need to vary - very easy to over-do or under-do his insulin. I would discuss with your pedi endo on where to start - you MUST test often.

pulmicort - doesn't have any effect on his bg

albuterol, xopenex, qvar - no effect on his BG.

I question whether people who see a rise in the BG when taking albuterol are actually seeing the bg rise due to the stress on the body of having trouble breathing. I have seen that happen for my son - but albuterol doesn't raise his BG on its own.

6. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Yeah I havent seen any effect on bg from albuterol.

7. irishmom

irishmom Approved members

Talked to endo last night.....raised insulin....increased lantus....they said I will gave to talk to endo everyday sometimes twice a day the next few days....we are at peds office now to determine if Patrick gets admitted or not......endo also said albuterol does have an effect on bs....and the amount of insulin he will need will be a bit scary ...having had to do steroids for the first time......thank for all the responses.....

Marcia

8. sage68

sage68 Approved members

Hope all goes well for you. I have a very limited experience with steroids. Elly had croup last fall and had a steroid shot which elevated her BS tremedously for about 3 days. I ran a 200% basal for those 3 days until it finally got out of her system. When Anne had croup about a month ago, she got oral steroids and i ran a 150% basal for about 24 hours, as the oral steroid didn't seem to last as long.