- advertisement -

Steroidal Cream Raising Non-Diabetic Sibling's BS?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by heamwdevine, Aug 21, 2012.

1. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Do you think a topical steroidal cream for poison oak would raise my non diabetic son's fasting blood sugar to 131?? TRYING not to stress and worry and hoping it could be his body fighting the poison oak(it's really bad) + the topical steroidal cream, but in the back of my mind he's been going to the bathroom more lately.

I checked him at 1:30 in the morning because we've been meaning to for weeks because he's been extra grumpy lately and going to the bathroom more. Then I realized maybe it's the cream but that's high I would think.

I'll check again tomorrow in the middle of the night and see what happens.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

From the packaging of a run of the mill prescription cream for poison ivy,

"Manifestations of Cushing's syndrome, hyperglycemia, and glucosuria can also be produced in some patients by systemic absorption of topical corticosteroids while on therapy.'

Personally, I'd refrain from testing while he's using the cream.:cwds:

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

If it's prednisone then that alone could explain the grumpy - that stuff can make people belligerent.

4. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

It's triamcinolone acetonide cream. He was grumpy before the poison oak and peeing more than normal, but I agree, I better wait until this clears up to worry (not that that ever stops:cwds:)

5. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

We have had lows (45) in our non D daughter. We freaked out but Or Ped told us it is common to have highs and lows in children, we just know because we check our kids while the rest of the world is clueless.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yes it can. I have used it and tested my BS ans have seen raised BS only to have the test return to normal soon after I stopped using steroids/cream.