- advertisement -

stem cells

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by joan, May 10, 2012.

1. joan

joan Approved members

Wisdom teeth can be a source for stem cells. My sons teeth were removed and stem cells have been harvested from them and cryopreserved. The company that did this is www.StemSave.com

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I haven't been keeping up with the stem cell research. Anything in particular that had you bank the cells?

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I really am just curious here. But why not leave the stem cells in the teeth to be harvested later if needed?

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Companies like the one above make a fortune off of people's lack of knowledge about stem cells. No offense to the OP.

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

As I understand it, stem cells are attached to the tooth and are part of the normal extraction process, whether natural (the tooth falls out) or dentist-assisted.

Some years ago I spoke with a very well known transplant surgeon who performs islet cell transplants and asked specifically whether stem cell banking (at the time the focus was on umbilical cord blood) was worth the money. He told me that if a family has the money to spend and would not miss it, then stored stem cells might be helpful someday. He also said that no one should spend the money if it would be a stretch for them -- the science simply wasn't there.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It is my belief that by the time this technology can actually make a difference in regards to Type 1 diabetes ( a long, long, long time from now), we will not need baby teeth or umbilical cord stem cells to make it work. Save your money!! :cwds:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. joan

joan Approved members

I saw it at the office when he was having the teeth removed. I have always wished I was able to store cord blood " just in case" some science occurred and
    it would somehow benefit my son. I signed him up, the teeth were viable and hopefully am not wasting money. It is a long shot, but my hope with all this science is in stem cells. I have wasted money on things way less important.

8. joan

joan Approved members

the only thing in particular that made me do this was hope.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Totally understandable :cwds:

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I too have wasted money on things less important. We banked my second dd's cord blood. some wonderfull things have come about with cord blood, not d related but other medical conditions. I have no regretts and actually have the yearly 120 to pay them this month and will not bat an eye at it.

11. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I did a search on the subject and I found that:

All teeth have stem cells (called dental stem cells) but some teeth are better sources than others. Younger teeth in younger people are excellent sources and some types of teeth(canines, wisdom, baby...) are better sources than others.

But in the end all teeth at all ages are good sources of dental stem cells unless said tooth is unhealthy.