- advertisement -

Stem cells and baby teeth

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MadeleinesMom, Jul 7, 2010.

1. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

I was just wondering if anyone out there has heard of cryogenically saving teeth for future stem cell transplants? I found a company out there that will save baby teeth, but was just wondering if anyone else has done/thought about it. My daughter is 5 (just about) and will be losing her baby teeth soon. Sounded interesting....

2. Kateri's Mom

Kateri's Mom Approved members

They had a booth for this at FFL! I just got a quick overview because it was packed in there and the kids wanted to go to other booths. It seemed interesting though.

3. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

somebody asked about this on this site years ago so it might be worth looking back through some old postings because I remember there was a bit of a debate on it (surprise surprise!). We saved our second son's cord blood but I have since heard that they can make stem cells from your own bone (or something along those lines) they can also collect them and grow them.

I'd have a good old google of the latest developments on harvesting stem cells to see if it's something you really want to buy into. All these places do tug at the heart strings about being a 'good parent' but with developments in science can superseed what's on offer quite quickly.

4. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

Yes to the bolded! My SIL's dad has cancer and he used his own marrow for his transplant.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would not do it. Aside from Francesca's good point above, the "science" of cryogenics is not even developed enough to ensure that the material would even be usable in the future, not to mention that the science of stem cell technology is just beginning. There are many companies out there who charge huge amounts of money for what? The hope...that maybe someday...it might maybe....possibly....be of some use? No thanks.

I think you would be much better off taking the money you would spend on this and investing it for your child's future, college, etc..

Just my 2 cents.....:cwds:

6. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

Thanks Christopher....That does put it into perspective. And like the above person said, I am sure there are other places in the body currently that you can get stem cells from that can be used. Thank you all so much! :p