- advertisement -

Steel Magnolias - redux

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Oct 7, 2012.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

It personally does not bother me if people think diabetes / my diabetes is worse than it is. I would not deliberately mislead anyone ? if anything, I would mislead ppl to think it was a bit better than it really is.
    I do hate the word brittle though - or being told I must be very brittle because I have a pump.

Ironically, it really bothers me when people think all diabetes is caused by gluttony and sloth. Also, it bothers me when people think it is no big deal. I had a friend apologize to me years after we had lost touch for not knowing how bad it really was. I guess a new friend?s mom had T1 and he got schooled on how bad it actually is.

I worked on a nephrology unit and I saw a fair number of young people w. T1 with multiple and severe complications. There were factors in their life that probably contributed though ? drug use, alcoholism, knowledge deficit ex. not knowing what they of diabetes they have / had (kidney/pancreas transplant )

It personally does not bother me if people think diabetes / my diabetes is worse than it is. I would not deliberately mislead anyone ? if anything, I would mislead ppl to think it was a bit better than it really is.
    I do hate the word brittle though - or being told I must be very brittle because I have a pump.
    Ironically, it really bothers me when people think all diabetes is caused by gluttony and sloth. Also, it bothers me when people think it is no big deal. I had a friend apologize to me years after we had lost touch for not knowing how bad it really was. I guess a new friend?s mom had T1 and he got schooled on how bad it actually is.
    I worked on a nephrology unit and I saw a fair number of young people w. T1 with multiple and severe complications. There were factors in their life that probably contributed though ? drug use, alcoholism, knowledge deficit ex. not knowing what they of diabetes they had

some endos / high risk OB's still tell certain type 1 women that pregnancy could threaten their lives and the lives of their babies. Some endos even tell women with decent control (a1c?s in the high 6?s low 7?s) that pregnancy is not advisable

Mackenzie Douthit tweeted about it "When I was 2 months preg. diabetic doctor told me to abort the baby cause there is a big chance I and/or the baby would die," Mackenzie tweeted on September 14th. "Look at us now ;)"

http://www.wetpaint.com/teen-mom/ar...doctors-for-recommending-she-have-an-abortion

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I just saw this article come across the JDRF Eastern PA Facebook page:

T1D Intel: Learning about the dual diagnosis of an eating disorder and type 1 diabetes
    http://countdown.jdrf.org/Features.aspx?id=8589934887

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I watched the whole thing, and I agree with Caspi as to my feelings of the remake. They never did explain how she got the kidney problems, but it was better than saying people with diabetes couldn't/shouldn't have children. In fact, that is the first thing the CDE said to my 13 yr old dd in the hospital--don't worry, you can still have children.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

They did actually say that Shelby's doctor said she should not have children. I remember because I remember the line distinctly from the first movie and again in the new version . One of the characters says to Shelby's mom "and they said Shelby couldn't have children" and her mom replies, "no they said she shouldn't have children" (or something to that effect.) could have been "and they said Shelby couldn? get get pregnant ? and her mom replies, "no they said she shouldn?t get pregnant "
    Some endos advise patients against conceiving because they see their control as too poor - even A1c's in the high 6's low 7's can be considered to poor - heck even 6.0 can be considered too poor depending on the endo

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Thanks for posting. ED is a lot more prevalent among women w. T1. I believe part of the problem is that diabetes has become a buzzword for fat and lazy. for someone predisposed to developing ED it is like a punch in the gut when the word diabetes is used in that context