- advertisement -

Staying out?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by icanhazjoy, Feb 2, 2010.

1. icanhazjoy

icanhazjoy Approved members

I'm 18, and I stay at my boyfriend's house quite frequently.
    Does anyone else do this?
    More importantly, I'm going to be staying over there for multiple days at a time without going home for a bit... are there any special considerations I should be taking (diabetes-related ones, anyways)? :S I'm just kind of nervous about it, is all.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

All of the staying in two home things: you need to make sure you have enough supplies in both places (particularly if the two aren't all that close). Store an extra box of text strips at his place, maybe. If you're going to put any insulin in his refridgerator, you need to make sure it's not the kind that cools things so unevenly that it freezes stuff in one portion of the fridge- experiment leaving a cup of water in different places or something like that. You don't want to learn the hard way! If you use sharps containers, having one in both places can make both feel more like home- I hated moving all my used needles back with me.

If possible without freaking him out, you might want to train him in glucagon/ hypo awareness. Maybe also make sure he has either your parents' number or your doctor's. Whoever you want contacted in an emergency.

3. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

you can also get a thermometer and leave it by the insulin. If you check it a ton the first little bit you should be able to catch any problems fast. our old fridge had that problem, it was colder in the back than in the front:rolleyes:

4. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

i agree with both lantus freind and lady bug, keep stuff at his place, tell what to do during an emergency, and make sure the insulin doesnt freeze in his fridge.

5. diabetesgurl

diabetesgurl Approved members

i'd get a snack to leave by the bed, if you don't feel as comfortable going through the kitchen late at night or in general - that can make a low blood sugar easier.
    supplies, a definate.
    and like someone else had said, if you're on the pump, maybe you'd like to teach him (if you haven't already) how to remove your pump or what to do in the event of a bad low/high.
    Not really a big deal, at your age I was coming out of a 2.5 year relationship and a week later going into a 4 year one... so house hopping wasn't something I wasn't unfamilular with. Like I always say, Trial and Correction - if there ends up being any kind of issue, come up with a better solution and you're better for it.

Oh, and have fun :p
    If you ever have any other questions, feel free to pm me. I'm 24 - i've been there!
    - Kristen

6. horselover

horselover Approved members

just make sure you have everything and dont forget to do your insulin! haha and have a fun timee of coarse:)

7. icanhazjoy

icanhazjoy Approved members

Haha, wow. I don't even recall posting this, I haven't been on here in forever. Thank you so much (all of you) for the advice of course. I hadn't even thought about the insulin thing.

Generally, if I say I'm hungry, he's on it. So the snack thing is fine. And if I go low, I wake him up and MAKE him get me Pepsi or something along those lines and he's okay about doing that. He knows that if he doesn't want to be woken up for it, he's gotta bring one down before we go to sleep. :p Ahhhh boyfriends. :)

8. rudziara

rudziara Approved members

Lucky you! Although I can't complain. Mine is hmm... treating me like his daughter or sth.
    But about food... When I say I'm hungry he says "oh, eat sth" I'm a bit confused when I am to seek in his fridge and so on. But he doesn't care about my eating. He even lets me skip the meal. Eventhough he knows I shouldn't do it.
    But when it comes to parties and having fun he is so serious!
    " Ada you can't have fun you have diabetese! You have2 think about your health"
    The truth is I can care for myself quite good. Espetially now when I know how my body reacts on alcohol:)