- advertisement -

Statin Drugs: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Jul 19, 2014.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

I have recently got my labs back, and with some very good news of an A1c of 5.9... there was also some bad news of high cholesterol (which is a bit of a running theme for me, but this is the highest it has ever bin)

Total Cholesterol: 230 (bad)
    (the bad Cholesterol) LDL: 141 (bad)
    (the good cholesterol) HDL: 73 (good)
    Triglicerides: 83 (good)
    Blood Pressure: 112/60 (good)

So, my doc brought up the idea of starting me on a Statin drug to lower my cholesterol (granted that was before he actually took my blood pressure), but while "mostly" good, my understanding (which may be flawed) is that everything that Statins do are not ~all~ good, and some things that they do can even be considered "bad". So I told him I wouldn't start on them now, but would wait and see what the next test revealed.

Also, bearing in mind that while my bad cholesterol is most certainly bad. Doesn't the fact that my "good Cholesterol" is quite good and also my Blood Pressure is far from high, mean that maybe I can "get away" with not starting on the Statin Drugs quite yet?

I have lowered my bad cholesterol before by eating better (I have been eating quite poorly lately) and I think I can do it again (though I'm not sure as much as 30 or more points) so no matter what, that is my goal... and I'll see what results that brings six months from now (assuming I stick with it).

But I guess what I'm wondering is not really a "doctors" opinion, but maybe other adults who had cholesterol a little too high, if you'd automatically started on Statins because of it, or if the rest of the stuff surrounding cholesterol were "good" if you'd just let it fly for a while?

And while I believe my sig says I'm 34... I'm now 35 if that helps with any opinions on the matter.

(edit: Note, whatever anyone says will not influence what I do. That decision I have already made. I'm just curious what others would do under similar circumstances)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

hmmm yeah. From that article:

"The drugs have long been known to cause muscle pain in some people and, more rarely, liver and kidney damage, as well as cognitive side effects like memory loss and confusion."

Not something I'd want to risk just yet. If it were stupidly high then maybe, If there were other than one criteria "not good" then sure.... as heart disease does run in my family. But so does eating poorly, but at least that, I can change.

Thanks. I knew there were some side effects, but I could only think of the "muscle pain" one.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

If you're not already doing fish oil, ask for a three month trial of that.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Consider adding Red Yeast Rice and Fish Oil. Statins are a fairly major drug so far as how it acts upon the body and I personally would try some other options first.

From my research the red yeast has similar actions on the body as the statins so I wouldn't stay on that one long term either but my experience has been that once lowered, it stayed lowered even after stopping the Red Yeast.

6. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ah yes! Fish oil. I need to maybe see if that can help. I think I attempted it once before but didn't commit to it (which ya kinda need to do).

Don't think I've ever heard of Red Yeast Rice before, but I might give that one a bit of a wait.

So I'll just take a stab at fish oil, eating better, and maybe adding benefiber once a day or something.

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Non Flushing Niacin and Red Rice Yeast Extract, I also take a Cholesterol Reduction Complex from Shaklee. All 3 are expensive, but they're not drugs and I've been on them about 10 years now. I refuse to take statins, or any drug I can avoid.

8. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

My cholesterol was high for several years in my late teens and early 20s, my parents have high cholesterol and a family history of early heart disease and the immediate response was I should be on statins. I refused based on a complete lack of information at the time and my age. My parents have been on them since around the same time. My cholesterol is now better than either of theirs.

Avoid "diet" foods, "health" foods, etc. If a product feels the need to make health claims, it's not food. If your great great grandparents didn't eat it, or wouldn't recognize it, you probably shouldn't be eating it either. Ingredients you can't visualize in your head? Also not a food. Also watch out for palm oil, which does meet the other criteria, but can skyrocket triglycerides. I believe this is what dropped mine from the 220s to 160 with double digit LDL.

As for risk factors, yes your HDL is high enough that it is considered a negative risk factor. It only cancels out one risk, so say your high LDL. You still have diabetes counting against you, but if you don't smoke and don't have family history of heart disease, you are still pretty low risk. If you take birth control pills, that will also increase your risk as you get between 35 and 40.

9. GChick

GChick Approved members

Ah... I am somewhat guilty of the whole "health" trap. Not so much for the "health" of it even, but for the convenience. For instance, if I'm getting a "tv dinner" I get the Lean Cuisine over Marie Calandars or some such. I'm not sure it is "good" for me in the long run, but I'm still sure its "better" for me than what some of my other choices might be.

I have recently also purchased "Glucerna" shakes not so much for the whole "its good for me" thing (though that added to my reasons cus of all the nutrients) but just because I thought it was such an ~easy~ meal replacement for after Karate as I'd often end up with fast food on those nights unfortunately (do Karate (which I'm sure is responsible for my HDL) cus its good for me... then eat what???? That doesn't make sense!) I have a feeling though that that will be short lived as my stomach usually requires actual food.

Risk Factors:
    Diabetes -(though sometimes... I don't count that, seeing as I have no identifiable complications after 33 years of it)
    High LDL
    Family history -(moms dad died of a heart attack in his early 50s, dads parents both died of heart attacks I think... but at a "respectable" age).

So not all good there either.

The good:
    Have never smoked
    Have only taken BC pills for a total of three months of my life to correct an issue.

The good news is that I am not one of those who is already "doing all they can" and still not seeing results. I can make changes, and they probably don't have to be all that drastic, but they do have to be made....

and since posting the initial post, I have made a very half hearted effort to take fish oil pills (need to step that up a bit) and I have drastically limited my egg and bacon consumption for breakfast... "low carbing it" be darned (I actually think that is a part of the issue, I only like "unhealthy" low carb options (but rather like "healthy" carby options like oatmeal etc), so I'm gonna give the whole low carb thing a swerve for a bit and see if that actually helps. I do however still visit fast food joints way too often. One step at a time I s'pose. I could be doing a lot better, but could also be doing worse.

10. GrammaBear

GrammaBear New Member

My response is late, I apologize for that. I offer my opinion from my own experience and I am not a healthcare professional. I took Crestor for 3 years and had great numbers. One day 4 summers ago I woke with horrid muscle spasms and I thought "Oh well, I must have a touch of the flu." A week went by and then another week, but the muscle pain and spasms only got worse. Finally had my husband take me to the doctor and he told me to stop the statin for one month. To make a long story short, what followed was a cycle of stopping statin drug and then re-starting again one month later with a different statin drug. The outcome was always the same - horrible muscle pain to the point where I could barely walk. For myself I no longer take statin drugs and probably will not try them again. Everyone is different, but that is what happened to me.

11. Carol99

Carol99 Approved members

There are other cholesterol lowering drugs other than the statin family. And, fish oil and niacin have been show to lower these numbers slightly. Medications are needed plus the fish oil or niacin if adequate lowering of these numbers cannot be obtained by medication alone. Plus, exercise daily lowers cholesterol (walking programs are easiest) plus dietary changes.

12. GChick

GChick Approved members

While fish oil is usually the first thing people suggest for lowering cholesterol... my brief (online) research since I actually first started on them after the test, has found that fish oil actually slightly ~raises~ LDL* (admittedly while lowering Triglycerides and raising HDL which are both good things... but neither of which do I really need. I just need the LDL to come down).

(*note: most of the articles on it went on to talk about the good vs bad kinds of LDL (who knew there was good LDL?)... the "good" kind being what is raised, which I believe to be a valid point, just not one I want to investigate this go round)

So, while I already exercised +/-1.5hrs three to four days a week, my current attempts are to eat better (which I am slightly failing at), and taking garlic supplements with the occasional magnesium supplement as well. I'll see how that goes come January. Also my new job is WAY less stressful than the last one, so hopefully that'll help too.

Will post an update when the time comes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  13. GChick

GChick Approved members

As an update... my total cholesterol this go 'round was 180!!! The lowest it has EVER been since I started having it checked (at about the age of 20. +/- 15 years ago)

Total cholesterol: 180
    HDL (good) cholesterol: 69
    Triglycerides: 57 (which I understand is quite good)
    LDL (bad) cholesterol: 100

So, all in all much improved. Considering the main change was replacing my standard bad breakfast with a fruit and vegetable smoothie, not too shabby. I still feel I eat pretty poorly most of the time, but I guess a healthy breakfast goes a long way. While not consistent at all I also sometimes took some garlic pills which I read can help.

No statins for me!