- advertisement -

State of Washington - Limiting Glucose Monitoring to One Strip Per Day for kids 0-12 ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Nov 24, 2010.

1. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Unfortunately this is what has happened to people with type 2 for years. I was just dreading this would trickle down. We have to fight this. This is just so wrong not only for children with diabetes but for anyone dealing with diabetes.
    I suspect we are going to see more of this with states trying to balance their budget but to do so at the expense of lives especially of those who are children or any one who has diabetes is just plain wrong. I am getting the idea that that governments would rather pay for the cost of complications than for the cost of prevention of complications from diabetes. To me the prevention by not limiting strips would be a lot cheaper.

2. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

In my emails to the my legislators I've actually invited them to come spend a day (and a night) with us, to get a sense of the reality of living with a child with this disease. We don't have a toddler, but I think it would make the big picture a lot clearer. Can't imagine they'll take me up on it, but figured I'd put the offer out there.

3. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Here in NC, on the state plan (I'm a teacher), they have a special deal where we get 150 test strips for one $10 co-pay. They will cover more, but we have to pay for those under the regular 80/20 insurance. The Washington study has me wondering if they will be eliminating the strips outside the 150 in the near future. Ugh.

4. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

For anyone in Washington still following this issue, I just received the following email from the Benaroya Research Institute:

"In case you aren?t aware, there are two days left to comment on Washington state?s Health Technology Assessment (HTA) paper on glucose monitoring. If you want to weigh in on the importance of blood glucose tests, please submit comments to shtap@hca.wa.gov by 5 PM on Friday, December 10th and feel free to copy your elected official. More information can be found at the following link:

http://www.hta.hca.wa.gov/glucose.html "

So the comment period is closing SOON! If you haven't already commented, please do it now!!

5. deafmack

Hi JoAnn,
    Thanks for sending the links. I did send a comment about how testing is so important and that to only allow for one test is in itself endangers the very lives of children with diabetes. I realize that maybe the state legislature wants to save money but it should not be done at the expense of people with diabetes and especially with the lives of children.
    I sure hope the comments for mutilple daily testing gets through and they decide to drop this ludricous idea to only allow one test strip a day.

6. RobinKop

RobinKop Approved members

Unfricken believable. :eek:

7. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Since this thread has been resurrected, I thought I'd post an update. It turns out I have a class with one of the members of the Health Technology Assessment Committee. I asked her about the process, and she assured me that they bring in an expert on the subject if it's something that they don't have represented on the panel. So, presumably, they'll have a pediatric endo there to help them through this. A friend of mine spoke with someone she knows who is also on the committee, and he sounded equally reasonable and reassuring about it, also saying that they'll consult with an expert. In addition, I know they received a slew of mail/email on this topic, as well. So I'm no longer too alarmed, and now we're just waiting for the meeting to happen next month.

8. KaileysMom

KaileysMom New Member

Scary!

If this happens (or could possibly happen) in Washington, it could easily happen in my state. (or yours):mad:
    What can we do as T1 parents -even though we don't live where this is going on- to stick together to make sure it does NOT EVER happen where we live. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen and I can't believe it would get as far as it has now... Hopefully we can help change this or stop it.
    So very scary, some of the people who are in charge of our childrens' health decisions.:eek:

9. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

So its cheaper to not pay for strips to help with glucose control vs. long term complications - diability for impaired vision, dialysis, kidney transplants would be cheaper. IDIOTS!!!!

10. dianas

dianas Approved members

My endo was recently at a conference where Dr Irl Hirsch (head of endocrinology department at University of Washington) was one of the speakers. She said that he said the committee reviewing and making these guidelines/recommendations did not have a pediatrician or an endocrinologist on the panel.

11. deafmack

That is exactly what scares me. And to top it off they say that they are bringing in experts on this but what happen if the so-called expert doesn't thnk that frequent testing is a vital part of diabetes care? The thought just plain frightens me.
    I wish they would ask the parents of kids with diabetes what they think and also us with diabetes. This thought of limiting strips just plain scares the heck out of me.

12. krisfitz

krisfitz Approved members

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  13. Deal

Deal Approved members

I wish the politicians looking at controlling demand for strips would look at the cost side. The billions of dollars of profits those strips generate due to their inflated costs are bothersome to me. They take our donation funds to 'research' then pass along the costs again in inflated prices that they only get away with because they are covered by insurance. Quite the money making system.

14. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

ok, never mind. I see what I asked :)

15. deafmack

Glad to meet another Seattle Person. Glad also for the HTA to come to their senses.