- advertisement -

State of Washington - Limiting Glucose Monitoring to One Strip Per Day for kids 0-12 ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It's not just the limiting to one strip a day that bothers me. It is the suggestion that many tests per day cause a child to become depressed. So if I lived in Washington and tested my child many times a day, what are they going to do? Take him away from me because I am a bad parent who is causing mental and physical harm to his child?

2. dragonblimps_mom

dragonblimps_mom Approved members

Did I miss something? The state of Washington does a study that appears to imply that blood glucose testing of children should be drastically limited and somehow you think the federal government is at fault. :confused: I'm sorry but any state that tries to correct their own fiscal mismanagement by drastically curtailing essential health care of diabetic children needs to be thumped, oops, I mean trumped, by the federal government.

3. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

As a Washingtonian, I want it to be known that I am totally against one strip a day for anyone with diabetes. It just is not reasonable but I am getting the feeling the government would rather pay for the complications of diabetes than pay for glucose testing to prevent said complications. This past year everytime I go in, they keep asking me how many times a day I am testing and if I am depressed because I test so much and I only test 6 to 8 times a day. I tell them I am just fine and I am not depressed with the amount of testing I do but I will be depressed if they try to reduce the number of strips I get each month. Then they try the poor sore fingers approach. My fingers are just fine thank you. You can bet I am going to make my protest against this one strip a day made known.

4. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I just can't imagine this study leading to lack of funding for testing...however, more crazy things have happen in government programs. I will be contacting all the people I know, making calls, emails and letters as legislature will be in session sooner than we know and we need to make sure that this doesn't even hit the floor.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

Who asks you these questions? Truly I am interested in knowing if it is your primary care physician, your endo, a nurse, a school nurse? Thanks ali

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

That's absolute insanity. I fear for parents and children in Washington if this amounts to anything.

7. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

testing once per day...

I apologize for sounding harsh but the state of Washington probably believes that the population that limits to testing 1 time per day is not depressed v/s those that test more b/c that 1 time per day population is probably disappearing before their voices are heard. If they haven't yet disappeared, they are likely not seeking out regular care related to their diabetes so who would be hearing about their mental state anyway?

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Where would they find a sample of people to study who were under 5, diabetic, and whose parents voluntarily chose to check blood sugar once per day?

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Absolutely absurd..
    Am sad and disgusted.

10. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

They didn't. They said that in older children you can see a correlation between more frequent testing and a lower a1c. This actually supports more testing.

But the research didn't show STATISTICS which showed more frequent testing lowered A1C's in younger patients.

While I can see how people and budget minded politicians might latch on to this one fuzzily worded paragraph, much of the report seemed to lend itself to MORE testing.

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

It is the pharmacy. I am not able to change pharamcies as I am under Charity Care due to no insurance so if I go to another pharmacy I would have to pay for everything out of pocket. Don't worry, I have my responses programmed. My doctor and endo back me up so I am not worried about that end.
    My thing is if they are trying to do this in Washington I am pretty sure they will start trying to do the same thing in other states. You can bet I am not going to take this sitting down. Neither will my hands or voice be quiet on this issue.

12. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

This makes me feel sick and frightened for you guys, even though I am an adult living in Australia. :(

13. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I do NOT get how they can say this not at all. The more we test the more we can see patterns the more we can make changes to insulin needs which in turn will get the BG into a target range more often which is better for the A1C's.

I just got into it with my daughters primary about this. Studies show blah blah blah my daughter shows a improved A1C because we are testing more often at the right times and her over all BG has come down because I know we have to adjust her insulin needs. That is my study not some study from crack pots that want to save a buck or two.

Sorry it just irritates me to no end when studies go a certain way because those studying this want them too. Why dont they ask the parents of T-1 kids what OUR studies (aka lives) show.

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Dear Representative,

As a mother of a child with Type 1 diabetes, I read with alarm about your state health health care authority?s recent study that seems designed to promote sharp limits on testing supplies for diabetics in need of state aid.

The study seems to grossly misunderstand the nature of Type 1 (formerly Juvenile) diabetes, a metabolic genetic disorder unrelated to lifestyle in which a child?s autoimmune system destroys pancreatic cells. A type 1 diabetic?s body produces no insulin. Testing is imperative to determine how much insulin must be administered throughout the day.

A type 1 diabetic child who is limited to one blood glucose test each day, as seems to be suggested by the study as good policy, will die. Any pediatric endocrinologist will tell you that without reservation.

My child, as a toddler, required a minimum of six to eight daily tests to maintain life. To regulate her blood sugar in a manner that did not seriously and permanently damage her eyes, nervous system, or brain took up to fifteen tests a day.

I beg you to do what you can to ensure that this study, ?Glucose Monitoring: Self-monitoring in Patients Under 18 Years Old?, is not used to set regulation or to influence policy or decision-making within the health authority itself, and to query what motivates the health authority to commission a study designed to justify dangerously limiting life-sustaining medical care for the poorest children in your state.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Lisa Powell

Here's the link for the state of Washington:

http://access.wa.gov/

The governor's page:

http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/default.asp

The health care authority:

http://www.hca.wa.gov/

And the state legislative committees involved in health care:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/house/committees/apph/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.leg.wa.gov/senate/committees/hea/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.leg.wa.gov/house/committees/hcw/Pages/default.aspx

The legislature page:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/pages/home.aspx

15. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I suspect that the correlation is diabetes to depression not the number of strips used. I think there is ample evidence of a relationship between diabetes and heightened levels of depression. Now those who don't test more than once a day may be in denial of the diabetes and so not depressed, I cant say.

I do think it is possible to over test and to become obsessed as a parent with blood glucose. However that again isn't a function of test strips if a a function of the mental state of a parent fearful for their child.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  16. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

this is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard regarding diabetes (and we all know how many dumb things are out there!)

17. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Thanks so much for drafting this letter, Lisa. I was going to write one very similar, but you've just saved me time in getting the basic structure down. It'll be in my legislators' inboxes by the end of the day!

We had an endo appointment yesterday, and I asked her if she'd seen this report yet. No, she hadn't. But she did say that the endos from our Children's Hospital had submitted letters a while ago on the issue of restricting testing, and she knew there was something brewing. As it is, she said that they already have to go through multiple appeals to get approval for kids on state aid to test more than 3 times a day. She also suggested that their claim of only receiving 10 comments during the public comment period was just plain wrong, given that she knows people spoke up on this initially.

Unbelievable.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I think the person who wrote the study had followed the advice of the State's prior study which claimed that breathing in and out only once per day was beneficial for congnitive function.

19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

20. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

It is frightening to think a non-medical professional should have ANY say as to how a medical condition should be treated and managed. I'm more than a little horrified!