- advertisement -

State of Washington - Limiting Glucose Monitoring to One Strip Per Day for kids 0-12 ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

In the state of Washington, the state Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Program is reviewing the "... efficacy, safety, cost, and health impact of glucose monitoring on clinical outcomes among patients with diabetes." Several "findings" in a paper commissioned by the HTA hint at severe restrictions in funding for episodic glucose monitoring for children and warrant serious concern among families living with type 1 diabetes, including:
    • "The effectiveness and optimal frequency of self-monitoring of blood glucose in patients is controversial. Several lines of evidence have suggested an association between glucose monitoring and increased discomfort, inconvenience and worsening of depression scores with regular self-monitoring, along with a lack of clinically relevant improvement in diabetes-related outcomes in patients who self-test." (page 8, final full paragraph)
    • "... for ages 0-5 and 6-12, beyond one test per day, there was little improvement in A1C." (page 116, top of page).
    Families living in the state of Washington are strongly encouraged to contact their elected state officials and comment on the safety and wisdom of limiting children with type 1 diabetes to one glucose check per day. Relevant documents for review include:

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

OK, were they on crack when they did the study? In what universe could they conclude that 1 test is enough to maintain a good A1C? Did they bother to talk to an endocrinologist or did they just consult their ouija board?

3. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I read the report, it seems to be a lit review of several studies, not a recommendation to limit children under 5 to one test strip a day.

The paragraph above was stating that there is evidence that each bg test ABOVE 4 has a correlation to lowering the A1C. Meaning, if you test more often, you can react and correct and hence lower your A1C.

But that they couldn't find the statistic that showed the same correlation in children under the age of 5.

As someone who had a baby diagnosed, we checked her about 15 times a day, and she still had an A1C in the 8's until she was out of toddlerhood. :rolleyes: I can see that statistic bearing out. I don't think it implies at all that they recommend you only test your baby once a day.

Also, it's important to note that a lit review will compile different studies and quote from those studies. Some of the findings may have been flawed.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I thought this was an April Fool's joke. But wait, it's not, it's our government :eek:

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Joy,

From my reading, this is an effort to justify the reduction in funding for blood glucose monitoring in kids 18 and under in Washington who are supported by state funds. An untrained politician, under pressure to reduce cost, could easily latch on to any of several lines in the paper as a reason to cut back. Therein lies the danger.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Cripe! next they will try to limit the amount of insulin they will pay for:mad: This is sickening and disturbing. To my way of thinking, not testing enough will make my child depressed due to untreated high BGs. And certainly complications in the future would cause way more depression and alot more money to treat then a few more test strips each day. These politicians are trying to set the people with type 1 in Washington back 50 years in terms of diabetes treatment

7. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Our insurance just dropped us from 300 strips per month to 150 strips. The endo's office tried and tried to get a pre-authorized override to no avail.

They stopped covering ketostix a couple of years ago. I know they do not cost that much over the counter. The logic is crazy though. Ketostix help us avoid the ER. Ketostix VS ER bill - that should be a no-brainer!

8. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

:eek: that is totally appalling.

anything we out of the state can do? Would be more then happy to bend the ears of any stupid politition anyday.

9. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

Ds was diagnosed as a baby, at 8 months. We tested him 12+ times a day, just to be safe, babies are so unpredictable, Doctors dont want the A1C below 8 in babies and toddlers anyway...
    I find it preposterous that anybody can try and limit the amount of test strips or any medication for that matter! Only my doctor should be able to suggest that we test more or less...
    I just cant believe it!!!

10. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

wow, wonder who funded these studies:rolleyes:

11. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Jeff.
    Please post a link to where you got this.

I sent it out to a few people already, and they want to see the source.

Thank you so much.

This is the sickest and the most scary thing I have read.

People who can't afford test strips just wont test.

Type One's will be in DKA, having seizures, and worse..

This is FRIKKIN crazy...

12. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Assuming that the paragraph in question was taken out of context and assuming that the state is just reviewing the situation and has not made any crazy limitations as of yet...

Just who gave the state the authority to decide how much medical care my, yours, or anyone else's child should get?!!

Oh right, the voters did.

Time to take back our country from the politicians. Vote out incumbents. Vote out those who would place more power in the hands of the federal government rather than the states, vote out those who would increase the range and/or scope of government at any level in any way, vote out those of whatever political party who don't listen, etc.

Let's start over with a new bunch who will actually read the laws they sign, and don't tell us that we will know what is in it after it is law, and who don't vote for bad bills because it has a special pet project that will bring money to their state.

Whatever happened to the constitution? Oh right, they amended it and re-interpreted it so that they can do whatever they feel like and no one seemed to notice.

Repeal the new health care law!
    Repeal the 16th amendment which allows them to steal our incomes in new and devious ways not envisions by the constitution.
    Enforce the 10th amendment which they ignore when the fed trumps the states.
    Interpret the commerce clause with some common sense.

13. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I'm leaning more towards the crack pipe theory, probably whilst conjouring the spirits of Tweedledum and Tweedledummer.... Thats the scariest bit of health care news I have heard in a while. So many children die between 0-12 because of unmonitored T1D! Is government money worth THAT MUCH?? That it trumps a life??

14. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

OMG! How have I not heard of this before? I'll get on it, and will be sure to send it out to other local families living with T1D and check in with our local JDRF and ADA about it.

Thanks, Jeff!

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

This seems so preposterously and irresponsibly absurd. You're sure it's not a joke?!

16. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

ONE test strip per day? That's insane.

17. Deal

Deal Approved members

I have a hard time believing this will happen after the backlash from the Diabetes community hits them. If anybody posts an email address for feedback to this proposal I'll be happy to help fill their inbox.

18. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The original posting contained lots of links showing the reports.

19. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Thanks Amy.

I see that this was drafted in June....

20. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

This disgusts me....