- advertisement -

Starting to pump with Animas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lynnh, Jan 14, 2010.

1. lynnh

lynnh Approved members

We have the Animas rep coming to our house this afternoon. One step closer to starting the pump for my 3 yod. Why am I so nervous?

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

b/c change is scary. Always.

3. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

Change is always scary :) My 3 year old has been pumping animas for about 18 months now and we LOVE it!

4. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I love the freedom since pumping! My son is a teenager, but I bet you will too.
    Good luck - Don't worry. It will be so easy I bet!

5. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Good luck. It can be hard in the beginning but well worth all the adjustments. My 2 1/2 yod. Has been pumping for 8 months and we LOVE our animas ping :):)

6. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

It is just a natural feeling to be nervous about change to begin with but when you throw in a big huge change, it makes it worse. I was so excited, convinced and ready to pump, but the day before we were scheduled for pump start I was sick to my stomach and not sure I wanted to go through. with it.. But I did and boy am I glad we did.. It's the best thing we could have done.. Been pumping over a year now..

Take a deep breath, relax and you too soon will enjoy it!

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Because you are so excited!;)

In all seriousness - pumping is great - William has been pumping since he was 2 years old - 6 months after diagnosis. However it isn't a magical device or hard to learn, etc. Once you get used to it, I think it definitely makes things easier - especially with the little ones. They can try little portions of food, new foods, etc. and with their small insulin needs you can accurately bolus for the "try it" foods that all toddlers should get - even those "spur of the moment" things or if they like to graze.

8. juliesmom

juliesmom Approved members

Congrats on your new adventure. It is a change and it is scary a first - but it was the best choice we have made for our dd. She loves it, it has made our lives as caregivers easier. I hope it will be the same for you and your family.
    PS the remote bolus feature is awesome!

9. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I have to agree, I think you are going to really enjoy it. There is a learning curve, but it is so much better than MDI. My son is 18 so it is a little different but he says he would never want to go back to shots.

Congrats.

10. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Dont get frustrated if you find yourself becoming overwhelmed like when he was first diagnosed thats normal. Learning about the pump, the boluses, how to work the pump etc. is a learning process and you will probally be contacted by a nurse from animas for the first six weeks to help with basal and bolus ajustments i loved our Animas nurse after six weeks i ask if she really had to leave (stop calling) smiles. Aaron has been pumping with Animas since he was 3. Also no worry if something happens to the pump OR meter. We had to have both replaced and they overnight it!! Dont let anyone tell you different if you get no for an answer call them back and speak to a different rep.

11. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I was nervous. And worried. I thought it would be weird to have a medical device attached to my child all the time. But I love it. Absolutely love it!

12. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

Hi not to hijack the thread but we are also in the same boat, so I am enjoying reading the posts. I have had mixed feelings about this whole thing, but getting wrapped around it. I was wondering how many pump companies did you meet with to compare? I was set on the ping but then I was talking to another mom last night and she said that they really like the one that they use so now I am thinking I should look at other pumps. The ping looks so good for the younger kids.