- advertisement -

Starting t:slim next week; looking at meter options

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by packmule, Aug 8, 2014.

1. packmule

packmule Approved members

We're starting our 6 y/o son on his t:slim next week and we're looking at meter options. We currently use One Touch Ultra2 meters, but our endo gave us a Verio IQ and Freestyle Lite to try. I know meter accuracy is variable, but the One Touch meters (Ultra2 especially) seem to read higher by 30-50 mg/dl than the Freestyle when my son is 200+. We've only done 4-5 comparison tests, so my sample size is hardly significant. Also, our Dexcom seems to match closer to the Freestyle if he's not rising or dropping rapidly. Do any of you notice that One Touch meters read higher when above 200?

Should I be concerned about the Freestyle strip recall with the Freestyle Lite meter? I got the impression the strip problem was specifically for OmniPod users.

We like that the Verio and Freestyle require less blood than the Ultra2 and have flashlights for night testing. I like the display on the Verio, but I'm not sure the IQ trending features will have much value considering we already have a CGM and still log everything. The Freestyle Lite is nice and small, but the lancer seems to be a bit harder for my son to use. I don't have an Accu-Check meter to try, but I could ask our endo for one.

Thanks for any advice.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

You can use any pricker with any meter.. We love the Freestyle Lite with an AccuChek Multiclix pricker.

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Same - i'd go freestyle but use the multiclix.

We use the Ping now mostlybecause of the convenience - but previously were using freestyle lite. Love it! And, we still use the multiclix with the ping!

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I thought the Verio IQ had some nice features and it seemed accurate, my daughter (and my insurance) like her Accu-Check meters though.

I do wonder if I would be OK with charging the Verio IQ long term though. As it is, I'm the person who remembers to charge her phone, her t:slim and her dexcom. I don't know if I'd want to be making even more plug space in the house for the meter. Regardless, my daughter prefers the Nano, but that one is not t:connect compatible, so the meter we use at home is the Aviva Plus and she uses the Nano while out and about. We get more BG's into t:connect that way since she rarely just tests when she's out - usually it's connected with eating, so the BG gets in to the pump anyway...

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We used the Verio for a couple of months and found its accuracy to vary widely, though I know others like it. We use Accu-chek, even though it required a letter to override prescription coverage and has a higher copay. For us, we couldn't get back to back readings within 30 points on the Verio most of the time. My daughter dubbed it the Variability.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Another vote for Multiclix lancet. I think those maybe being replaced by the Fastclix. Not sure. I have used One Touch and Freestyle, and Accu check. I really like that Accu chek Nano meter.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm going to be looking for a new meter too. We are moving to the t:slim (yay!) and since we don't HAVE to use the One Touch anymore, figured it was worth looking into once we run out of strips.

We use the Multiclix lancet too - have two and love them! Still don't change them enough - I think I've bought refills once because someone here a couple of years back had a ton extras and we got some and still haven't run through them. We change with the smoke detector battery!

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We are Freestyle fans around here. We switched from One Touch and I love, love, love the smaller sample size and the reduction in wasted strips (One Touch ones seemed error-happy for us.) DD uses a separate meter and DS uses the one in his PDM. My daughter uses a Delica for her pokey and my son uses the Microlet 2.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My daughter used and liked the Verio meters, I had bought the Sync as well before finding out that she wouldn't be able to use it once we had to drop her BCBS. We recently found out that we can keep her on our insurance so just changed her strips over to the One Touch Verio and will be using the app for the sync to keep track of her now that she is living in her own home. Both are sleek looking meters and smaller than what she is now using, which is the Nova Max.

I don't intend to put another penny in Abbott's bank after how badly they have handled the recalls.

10. andiej

andiej Approved members

We have tried Freestyle Lite, Accu Chek Expert, Insulinx which uses Freestyle lite and Verio. We tried the Lite after the Insulinx and we loved the insulinx. Personally found that any meter that uses Freestyle Lite strips to be preferable to any other due to the teeny tiny blood sample needed. We found the Insulinx to be highly accurate...i.e our HBA1C was exactly what we were expecting it to be based on his numbers. Interestingly now we are on the Omnipod using the standard Freestyle strips his numbers have dropped and his HBA1C has stayed the same.

11. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

This caught my eye because we are starting the t:slim next week too (yay!!!) but also just happened to switch to a new endo a few days ago. Here are her thoughts for what it's worth - she thinks the One Touch ultra minis, which we love because they are small and come in fun colors, are not accurate. She recommends (and gave us two to take home) the Ultra2. Same strips. I like the backlight and that there's an obvious top/bottom (122 looks like 221 upside down!) but it's a bit bulkier.

12. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  13. packmule

Thanks for the great feedback. We've decided to start with the Verio IQ for now. My son has no problem with the Delica lancer and we like the large screen, flashlight, and small sample size. Hopefully accuracy will be acceptable, otherwise we'll try again. I haven't tried an Accu-Check meter or Multiclix lancer. I'll see if I can get one to try from the endo.

14. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

My experience: one touch sucks. It does read higher and thats why I don't like it. We use accuchek with the multiclix. My favorite accuchek meter is the nano (I believe that's what it's called)

15. packmule

Thanks for the feedback. I'm picking up an AccuChek Nano from the endo this afternoon. I'll probably have to wait until later this fall if I decide to switch... I can't refill the strip rx for another 2+ months and I don't want to pay OOP.

I don't think the t:slim TConnect application supports AccuChek meter uploads yet, so I'd have to manually enter each BG in the pump. I'm definitely going to ask Tandem to start supporting AccuChek meters.

16. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Just FYI - t:connect supports the Accu Chek Aviva Plus, but not the Nano. They've been "working on" supporting additional meters for over a year, so I wouldn't hold my breath. My daughter used the Nano at diagnosis, but I bought an Aviva Plus shortly after switching to the t:slim from MDI because of the t:connect issue. She now uses both - Aviva Plus at home, Nano when out of the house.

17. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Stupid question, but if you are using Dexcom why would you need to enter BGs on the pump/in t:connect? You're seeing all BGs connected to boluses and the trends on Dex, seems like that's sufficient.

18. packmule

Not a stupid question at all... I just want all D data in one place available for analysis. I hate using multiple tools to view related data. I'd like a "single pane of glass" showing pump data, meter data, cgm data, etc. Now, with Nightscout's Care Portal, there's even more data. Maybe Tidepool's advocacy for open data will improve things down the road.