- advertisement -

Starting our Ping Trial

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HanksMom, Apr 8, 2011.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

My husband and I are just finishing up our saline trial for Hank's pump, and we'll hook Hank up tomorrow for the trial. We are using the Ping, and we have a Spibelt for him to wear. We're going to use his tush for sites. Any last minute words of wisdom? I think my biggest concern is that he won't sit still for the insertion, and second, that he is going to yank at the tubing. I'm really hoping this goes well!!

2. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Good luck with the pump start. We have been pinging for over 2 years and love it. It will take a bit of time to get the basal rates right so just be patient.

Ds is almost 4 and I still have to basically hold him down for site changes :(

You don't have to worry to much about the tubbing. Ds is the wildest little boy I have ever seen and we have never ripped a site out.

Ds also prefers sites on his arms. I know it seems like the tubbing running down would be really annoying but it doesnt bother him at all.

3. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Miranda has been on the Ping for almost a year now. While it is a challenge in the beginning, after some time it becomes your best friend. It is a bit of a rollercoaster at first trying to get the basal's and other settings suited to your childs needs but hang in there. The freedom it gives to snack and graze is great. Miranda is almost 6 and her appetite is getting bigger all the time. Site changes at first were hard, I tried it on myself and was surprised at how easy it was. Easy for me to say but for Miranda it was more of the anticipation and not the actual poke which is always in the butt, many times after the site was put on she would comment about it not hurting or saying that was easy. She always liked to hold on to something like a toy or book when changing sites and she's never used any numbing cream or special adhesive. Only one time has a site fallen off and it was on its last legs to begin with so we should have changed it before we sent her off to school, now we change every 2 days, sometimes pushing it to 3 if her numbers arent trending higher.

Good luck....I dont think you will regret it.