- advertisement -

Starting Kindergarten - Scared Of Illnesses

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Schleprock, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Schleprock

Schleprock Approved members

My diabetic son is supposed to start kindergarten this fall. When my daughter (non-diabetic) started school she was sick almost the whole year, the teacher said it would take time for her immune system to build up then she would be better and not stay so sick.

I am scared to death about my son starting school because he would end up missing half the school year from being sick not to mention the worry and stress of him being so sick ( ketones, antibiotics, possible hospitalizations) Whenever he gets even a cold it takes him forever to get over it and he always gets it worse than anyone else.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that he actually has a "strong" immune system, too strong indeed. So, while it may take him forever to get over being sick, he probably won't catch as much as another child may.

I hate that so many people send their sick children to school because its inconvenient to keep them at home