advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started using Novolog Pen, Jr. Leaking Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AJMom, Jan 23, 2012.

1. AJMom

AJMom New Member

We just started using the novolog jr pen with the nano needles. We are careful to count to 10 slowly before removing it. Even doing this, insulin 'leaks out' of the injection site. She is quite thin so we are using the short, small needles. This is anywhere - stomach or arms. She is still in a honeymoon that takes her all over the place - or I would think we would see it impacting BG #'s.

Is it normal for insulin to 'leak' with this type of injection? Is it the shorter needles?:confused: This didn't happen when we used the syringes!

Thank you for any insight!

2. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

We had a lot of leakback while using the pen. You're not alone! Someone suggested rotating the pen before/while taking it out after the injection is complete. I don't remember if that completely solved the problem, but it may have helped.

We also used the Nano needles, so I don't know if using something different would've made a difference.

HTH!

3. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We also had a lot of leak back when on shots ... my daughter held it in a little longer than 10 and that helped a little ... but most people I have met also complain about leak back, unforunately.

4. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

we had the same problems. We did also find that some of it was insulin on the surface of the needle from the prime shot. We found that if we slowly released as we were counting to ten we had less leakback.

5. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

we did not go to the pens just because so many people we knew had that prob. So We are still using syringes.

6. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

Are you pinching her arm when you give the injection? We were told not to pinch because the needles are so short, it can leak out.

7. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Yes, there is always a tiny drop on the tip no matter how long we hold it!

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Drip drip here too! :rolleyes: we don't use them as much, but i will take them with me when we are out and about. But if I need to do any .5 units I draw out the insulin from the pen with a syringe....my pens don't do half units. :( Another poster mentioned one time using a different carb ratio because of the leak issue. I forgot to ask endo at our last appt.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

We always had the drip as well. Honestly, when we first started we saw a few elevated blood sugars. However, a small tweak to her insulin to carb ratios took care of that 1/10th a unit of leakback.

It is normal. Almost everyone experiences this and it is no reason to loose the convenience of the pen.

10. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Think of it as being the same as the extra bit left in the syringe after an injection. There's a little well in the needle that is accounted for on syringes and I figure that's as big of a difference as the small drop left from the pen.
    I have the same extra drop with the Lantus pen that I am using now that I used to have with the NovoPen Junior (stopped using pens for short acting because I switched to Regular and penfills for Regular are not available in the United States).

11. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

On "penleakophobia" :D

Τhere are studies that show that dosage is more accurate with a pen. I quote from Ragnar Hanas' book, regarding syringes:

"...(a) study found an error rate of 10% when doses of less than 5 units were given by syringe. When a pen injector was used, the error was only 5%...In a study were parents wrere supposed to deliver 1.0 units of insulin, the actual dose varied between 0.6 and 1.3 units. The variability was even greater when the dose was administered by pediatric nurses."

So those who think they can administer more accurate doses with a syringe, think again :)

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yep, it's normal. In addition to keeping it in and counting to ten, our doc suggested we also rotate it. So, inject, count to ten, rotate and remove. There will still be a little bit of leakage, but not as bad.

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Also, be sure to give the pen a quick movement through the air to shake any insulin off of the tip. What you are seeing may not be leaking from the shot at all, but just a bit left on the tip, under the needle from the priming.

14. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Leakback

We have used insulin pens for many years when at school, sports, travel or really unless at home near the vial and syringe. When DS was little and was on smaller doses the "drips" seemed more significant in my mind. Seemed like a significant percentage of total dose. Always worried giving 1 or 2 units and I saw any amount come back. Kept using pens though because numbers were okay and DS likes the portability. Now as a teenager on larger doses I have not even thought about it. I guess I'm just saying if people had concerns with pen use for young kids they might consider trying again later if still on MDI.

15. AJMom

AJMom New Member

Thank you!

Thank you all for the suggestions and support! We are no longer 'freaking out' and have implemented the suggestions - which have made a difference!

Our most sincere thanks!:)

16. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We saw the leak back sometimes when we used the pens, but for the most part, once we stopped pinching up for the injections, the leak stopped.

It's been a long time since we gave an injection, so that's about the only useful tip I remember. :p