- advertisement -

Started on CGM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2marchboys, Jun 18, 2012.

1. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

We got the My Guardian a couple weeks ago and since that time DS has taken the sensor out 3 times during the night shortly after going to bed. The one time he left it in for more than 24 hours he had an irritation on his skin from where the transmitter/sensor touches his skin.
    Looking for suggestions on what to put under this to avoid skin irritations - we also use the IV3000 over the entire inset which starts rolling at the top and bottom after a few hours.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We use Hypafix and tape the way Darryl does with Tegaderm. The 4 pieces of Hypafix completely cover the area around the sensor, and the the transmitter is on top of those with additional tape holding it down. We had problems with other types of tape, but my daughter really likes the Hypafix. A box lasts for months, too. We don't see the skin rashes like we did with IV 3000 and Tegaderm.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

IV3000 is useless. We really like Opsite Flexfix. We get a huge roll from Edgepark pharmacy that lasts us about 8 months for $30. We put a piece under the transmitter to avoid skin irritation, and then another piece over the sensor and a third over the transmiter.

4. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

Does the Hypafix and Opsite Flexfit keep everything dry and water out during showers and swimming?

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, the sensor and transmitter are waterproof when connected, so they don't have to stay dry. Your goal with the tape is to keep them on the body, and for us, Opsite will do that for at least a week.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Hypafix doesn't get water out, but as HawkeyeGirl said, it doesn't need to be. In fact, Hypafix breathes so that it dries out. I think it's one of the benefits of it compared to IV 3000.

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Hypafix is like fabric. it gets wet and it dries. Ppl who use it love it. It also doesn't stick to itself so you can put a piece over the sensor and another big piece over everything and when you want to change the tape, the sensor tape will still be on. But it's white and really obvious and it gets dirty looking.

I like flexifix. it's clear waterproof. I alway use two layers or it starts to wear away on the bump of the seashell. I also use a dried alcohol pad under the seashell so it doesn't dig into the skin so it needs to be waterproof. you can put a layer (with a hole punched out) onto the skin and put everything on over it then tape the whole thing down. Maybe you don't even need to punch a hole through it b/c that sensor needle is a harpoon and can penetrate easily. Try a layer of flexifix right on the skin and another layer ontop of the whole thing.

8. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We use tegaderm and putting a piece under the transmitter so that the transmitter does come into direct contact with the skin eliminated most of the rash issues for us.