advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start Pumping Today...any general advice for the first few days?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shause, Apr 11, 2012.

1. shause

shause New Member

My 7 yr. old daughter is going to start pumping this afternoon. Just wanted to gather any advice/tips for getting through the first couple of days. We are very excited but also nervous about our new adventure!

Thanks,
    Shelley

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Be prepared for bumps in the road while you work to get everything set just right.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We found that Lantus lasted much longer in my son's system than the stated 24 hours. About 2.5 days after he started pumping, the Lantus finally worked itself all the way out and then we had highs, highs, highs until we got the basal adjusted correctly. That doesn't happen to everyone, but it's common enough that I thought I'd mention it.

Good luck! Hope you both love it! :)

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes...don't expect smooth sailing from the beginning...but don't give up! It took us many weeks to find the right rates for my son...and the highs that came during that time were disheartening. You may at some point feel like you should have stayed with MDI...but don't give in to that!:) Time and patience is all that is needed to get where you want to be. Just be prepared for an adjustment period...it is normal.

Good luck!! Hope you guys (eventually;)) love the pump as much as we do!

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We had a rough few weeks, so be hopeful for smooth sailing but be prepared for lots of extra testing and weird numbers. It will sort itself out!

Our trainer suggested that we take DS out for a treat on day one that he had not been allowed to have, or have at that particular time of day, since dx (we were on NPH, so an afternoon treat of a McDonald's ice cream cone had been a no-go for 5 months). Yes, it messed up his numbers a bit, but it was so worth it, and his happiness that afternoon carried us through the first few crummy weeks!

Good luck!

6. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Love this suggestion! What a great idea!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We actually had some sort of treat RIGHT THERE to give to my son as soon as we got the pump hooked up. We had been telling him all along that he wouldn't need shots once he got the pump, but he didn't "get it" until the first time he ate without a shot. The smile on his face was priceless.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes...my son asked for something to eat the minute we got home from the pump trainer when he started on insulin!:) It was a WONDERFUL feeling for both of us I think.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter started eating as soon as she climbed in the car after her appointment. Definitely a celebration mark to eat without the syringe!

Don't wait to call for adjustments if your child isn't feeling well. They don't need to run in the upper 200-300s or equally low just because we were told to call in after three days. The beauty of the pump is that they can have an entirely different basal acting within four hours and be feeling better.

Also, eliminate as much off your calendar as possible. Your sleep deprivation will be great and the chance to nap is priceless. Look at it as if you have a new baby in the house....sleep at every opportunity and give yourself permission to say no to lots!

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Me too.

Well actually, what happened to me is that they told me to take Lantus the night before I went on the pump, and then that day I had both basal and full Lantus active. I went very low, so they lowered my basal considerably. Then for the next couple of days things worked out on my super low basal. Then I went to D camp (only a few days into pumping!), where I had CRAZY activity levels and things worked with the lower basal.

It was only when I got home from D-camp, had no Lantus left in my system and no activity to counterbalance the defecit that my BGs went insane. Especially because almost all of my Quick-Sets were kinking.

Just to let you know that the first few days and weeks are sometimes really rough. I'm not trying to scare you, rather to let you know that IF that happens to you, you should try to stick at it. I almost stopped pumping about 4 weeks in because it was insane. I'm SO glad I stuck at it, adjusted my doses and tried some more infusion sets.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's a bit of a bumpy road the first few days, weeks. So just be patient and try to stop the urge to toss the thing out the window!

The benefits definitely out weigh the first few weeks of frustration.

12. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

We just hit the two week mark today. Still haven't had any high highs, but lots and lot of lows. In fact, I'd read so much here about high numbers, I really wan't prepared for all the lows. I don't know if it's a YDMV thing, but dd is much more symptomatic with these lows, too. Our center does everything in a group setting, including insulin start - so everyone had packed snacks for yet another long visit. Good thing - those kids were hungry.

I don't know which pump you got, but one thing that's been invaluable to us is the Medtronic help line. We haven't had much communication with the PA or center (big surprise) but when we had some problems, the help line folks were awesome. Not to scare you, cuz I really think it was a bizarre fluke, our pump had to be replaced after one week. Just walking through everything, what to do, what questions to ask the on call since she'd been disconnected for over two hours, was incredibly helpful, and we had a new pump in hand in less than 24 hours.

Dd's gone through some emotions about D being more visible and how to wear the pump so it's less obvious, but body image is everything at her age, so I tried to be ready for that. She hates pump packs because they make her look weird. (I disagree, or course.) We've learned not to leave her pump loose in bed, and to have it clipped somewhere that doesn't require me flipping or turning her over if I need to adjust rates, correct, etc.

Good luck!!

@Emma, that sounds like quite a crazy, hectic time around pump start, and yet oddly perfect.

13. MommytoCsquared

MommytoCsquared Approved members

Started 2 days ago

We have been lucky during the day...pretty level numbers with +/- 10 from 110 EXCEPT at night. Between 10PM and 1 AM we are running high, but by morning he has been LOW. Working on it.

I saw the comment regarding Lantus; I did not know it could last longer than the 24 hours...I wonder if we will be dealing with this in the next few days.

I think the biggest advice is to take a breath and remember that this is new and it is going to take some adjusting. Morning after we started, my son's site had fallen off betwen 2 and 6. My husband was already at work, so I had to figure out how to insert the site myself (with no one holding down my squirming 3 year old). We rolled with it; the more calm I stayed, the calmer he was.

Also, in all the craziness, I have found that we must stop and smile about the good parts of the pump. Each time we deliver insulin, we smile. Especially the first afternoon snack--he had finished his snack so I bolused. Next thing I knew, he wanted some greek yogurt. It is an amazing feeling to be able to say yes without worrying about having to deliver another shot. That freedom is priceless and worth remembering when you are feeling stressed and hyper aware that numbers are not where you would want them.

Hopefully the next few weeks go well for you (or as smooth as can be expected ;)). Keeping you in our thoughts...

14. shause

shause New Member

Thanks everyone for all of the fantastic advice. The first night and day have been so smooth...(calm before the storm???) My daughter's face just beams when her pump vibrates during insulin delivery and she is reminded that she is done with shots!!! This is absolutely life-changing and it makes me so excited!

Shelley

15. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm glad its going well=) I personally had a wonderful pump start:D maybe because lantus was so awful for me...