advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start pumping Thursday!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Williamsville mommy, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

We are starting the pump on Thursday. We are about 5 months in, with our now three year old
    Any advice, any questions to ask teacher, anything would be appreciated. I am sooooooo nervous. Everything I knew and everything that was kind of comfortable with is all going to change , isn't it???? Reassurance please!!!!

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

It does take a bit getting used to but we love pumping. May 2 nd will be a month for us. Which ppump did you go with? Our pump start started great and has been going great since. Good luck. Heres to a good pump start

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

DD started pumping in February...she loves it! Only advice is look for patterns....DD had more highs at night, a few hours after bed. If I saw three days of highs, up went the basals! Also, try to get the basals set for the night down first then move to morning, lunch, dinner. One more thing breath!! Good luck! Did you get the book Pumping Insulin yet? A must read! :cwds:

4. Williamsville mommy

Medtronic...I love hearing stories like yours :)

5. Williamsville mommy

Yes read that, and the books that came with the pump were very helpful too. I just hope they are patient we only have one 3 hour class and off we go......

6. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I almost wish our start will be quick like that. We have 2 three hour classes and then 4 1/2hours with 2 meals being eaten there the day of start. She's going to be bored to tears!

Good luck with your start! Very exciting.

7. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Good luck! There will be a bit of a learning curve, but then you'll be off and running. With such a little one, I'm sure you'll love the flexibility.
    My daughter was the same age as yours at dx, but we didn't start pumping till she was six. We've been using minimed since 2007, and couldn't be happier with our pump. It just does soooo much injections can't :)

8. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Wow! That's a lot! We had 1 hour with our diabetes educator, then the pump rep came over for 40 minutes, and last Tuesday (4 days ago) we started pumping! And we LOVE every minute of it! :D

9. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I agree that is a long time. Our endos office had us do an intro to pumping but that was introducing us to the different pumps. They also do the pump training with saline start then 3 days later insulin. We never did saline cause we travel 4 hrs just to see her endo but we were there for about 3 1/2- 4 hrs. We did give her a small snack so we fould bolus her and feel comfortable. I can see why they want her there for a meal.

10. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Yeah!

We started pumping with minimed at 3 too and my son just turned 5.

It allowed us so much freedom whenever he wanted a snack - we could say yes, just punch in the carbs and go. Before that I was stressed about giving additional injections every time he wanted to eat.

We ran a little high for a while as we tried to dial in his basal rates and carb ratios. With small adjustments you will get everything worked out. I found that he has a much higher breakfast ratio than the rest of the day. Just be patient and make small adjustments and you will get there. Our first A1C after starting the pump was 7.1. We have remained in the low 7's since starting.

We like the mio sites from minimed. They are portable and springloaded, so I can always have one in my purse in case of an emergency site change, and then just throw it in the trash. They also sit flat - which helps since we use my son's rear end exclusively. The manual insertion was not for me.

At the beginning when you are a little nervous and forgetful about site changes, watch the demonstration videos that are on the minimed site. That helped me refresh my memory until I had it down pat. My son just watches TV or plays DS to distract while I do a site change.

Keep posting here for questions. This site was so helpful as we have gone through the process.

11. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Weird, huh? :D We got used to our tight eating schedule over the past six months.

12. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Good luck! I hope it goes well. Remember, they are just numbers and they can be corrected! Anything new is rough at first!

13. Williamsville mommy

Your right. Sometimes before I take her bsg, I'm thinking I did everything right, counted right, insulined her right and she is 300????!!!! Just a number

14. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

Good luck! We start on May 11th with the animas ping. So scared but so excited too :)

15. fiaz

fiaz Approved members

We are on day 5. :) We have family giving us the same advice about getting the basals right first starting with night, then morn, lunch, dinner. The first couple of days caused some anxiety but we love it now! We use the inset 30 with the Animas ping. The infusion set was our main concern. We did one site change on Saturday and she did not want to co-operate. I intend to do much better preparation next time. She needs to be in a happy mood when we start the infusion set change. My second point would be to do extra bg tests initially so you can see some trends.

16. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Good Luck! We start on May 8th and I can't wait! My son is so excited! I just hope I'm not in a puddle of tears for a week. :)

The few things people have told me are...

1. Write down the steps of how to do things step by step when you have the trainer with you. Apparently, you may think you'll remember how to do things because they seem so obvious but two days later, when you have to do them yourself, you can't remember.

2. Write down any questions you have ahead of time and don't let the trainer rush you.

3. Ask what to do when/if your child goes low and you can't get him/her back up. This happened to a friend of mine and she said she had to feed her son carbs all night because she didn't know what her options were.

4. Have all of your contact numbers in one place and by your phone so in the middle of the night or when you may be nervous, you don't have to look for them.

5. Do not take all of your supplies out of the boxes. Leave them in the boxes just in case you have to exchange them. Apparently, it is a good idea to leave them in the boxes always in case they are recalled because the lot numbers are easier to find and they are easier to return for replacements.

I'm trying to gather more tips before May 8th!