- advertisement -

Standardized Testing - Elementary School - not letting T1D test the following day

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nicole N, May 27, 2013.

1. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

Hi,
    This is our first school year with T1D. During standardized testing week, my son took his breaks to check and eat. When the nurse found him to be high (over 200 per the protocol we created) they had him stop the tests. The issue was: according to law in Ohio he is not allowed to finish the tests the following day. He can/could only complete the tests the same day. This doesn't seem fair for our kids. Is this happening in other states? Any idea how I can get this changed?
    Thanks,
    Nicole

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have stop the clock for SAT in GA but they are allowed to finish in the same day.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When it comes to State tests it's been my experience that you need to come up with a plan, well in advance, to deal with this. Personally, since the tests prior to grade 9 are not used here for placement and reflect the performance of the school rather than the individual child, I have not bothered to push for these.

If you are concerned, or if your school uses the score to evaluate the student, then I'd see the 504 coordinator and begin to develop a plan for next year. Be aware though that this may mean that your child will have to test separately from his peers.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I agree with the previous posters, this can be dealt with in a variety of ways, but must be done in advance. You are the one who gets to decide and this is done with the 504 document.

Personally, 200 is not too high to continue testing. I am not sure what criteria the nurse was using.

Since you are new, I recommend you add a signature. If you let us know your child's age, when diagnosed, country/state/province where you live and possibly how you give him insulin (pump/shots), type of insulin (NPH, fast acting, lantus, etc), you will get advice that is relevant to your situation. Just click on User CP and then Edit Signature.

5. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

We don't use a specified high # in our 504 for that reason (a mild high in the morning post-breakfast isn't going to cause issues with testing). We have language that says "if she's high and feels unwell..." she stops and goes to the nurse. It's only happened once.

In Texas, where we have a ridiculous amount of standardized testing, they always have make-ups for those tests that are actually important. They ones with no make-up days aren't crucial for anything.

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Florida once testing starts it must finish that day or the test is invalid and does not count. That means no score no penalty. My nephew and nieces are in Ohio too. They have the same policy. So if he starts and does not finish no big deal until high school. But in high school they give the mandatory test 4 times a year and they get to try each time.

My daughter has always had a severe cold or a virus during testing (even before diabetes hit) and she always tested on make up days after the first year. In high school she final succeed at finishing all sections healthy with great numbers when she had the chance to take the test in the fall.

7. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

Thanks for all the help. We have an IEP right now. He is tested seperately with a proctor to allow for BG checks, snacks, water, etc. but he tests on the same schedule as the other 3rd graders.
    For the Terra Nova, once he started the test he had to complete it. Since he wasn't able to ...not completing the test hurt his scores. They were "graded" after he did as much as he could that day. So if he can't finish within the same day, his scores will be lower. These tests establish gifted services too. The only good news is that once qualified for these services, you don't lose them and he qualified last year.
    Yes, we need to work on creating a protocol for next year...a low and high threshold (BG number) for testing.
    I just can't believe that not finishing the test can hurt/lower one's scores. The school assures me that they looked into this with the state.

8. zoom8942

zoom8942 Approved members

I am also in Ohio. Did not realize the testing thing. My son is in middle school, and only really tests BG at lunch time. We were lucky this year not 1 high or low during school. Of course hes a little older and knows what activity hes done and can adjust his insulin accordingly. At least your son is still in grade school and as much as he would like to do well on the tests, it is just grade school and he qualified for gifted services last year. 200 does seem a little low to stop testing, ours is 300( suggested by our endo ) and we dont do an IEP only a 504.