- advertisement -

StaiWell bags

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Flutterby, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Does anyone own a Staiwell bag? I'm curious if its 1, worth the money, and 2, is it actually like a backpack or does it zip all the way open.. anyone have any pictures? the pictures on the site don't give you to much information.

thanks!:)

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Kind of shows you here,http://staiwell.com/ but I've had bags like these, and the novelty wears off soon.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I saw that plus another page that showed some more detail.. i can't tell if there is a large pocket, like a regular backpack or does the entire thing unzip and open up ....I don't want a bag like this, had them and they are kind of a pain.. so looking for something that has a storage area like that, but has a large pocket area as well..

4. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Look at diaper bags, some of the high end ones are great!

5. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

I agree! They usually have a lot of various size pockets and are pretty cute. The higher end bags don't look like your typical diaper bag anymore!!

6. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

Yes, we've had our bag for 6 years and it's been every where... My son no longer carriers it but is't great for stay overs or trips now. It carries everything and there are two large openings for storing extra infusion ports and cartridges he went on a DC trip with school and it carried everything for the whole week. I keep it stocked with everything except insulin if we ever need supplies all I have to grap is insulin and we're ready to go... Got it out just today as he was at a friends house and his port came out so all my wife had to do was grap the bag and take it to him.

It's held up great for us I would suggest it as it's designed to hold supplies for diabetes, it's easy to get to what you need and not everyone made fun of our son when he carried it, unlike the other bags that we've had... beeing 16 now it's not cool to carry anything although it's easy to place in a suit case, carry on to a plane, or bus, or when you spend the night at a friends house.

It's been the best thing I've ever ran across to date and when he goes to college well have to get a new one becuse this one is well worn!!!!

7. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have one - I don't have any pics but I can tell you what we keep in it. We don't use it for short trips but we definitely use this bag when we need to carry "all the supplies." Recently, we found a tiny little backpack bag at Hobby Lobby to use for a meter case - I think someone posted it - and we clip it to the handle of the staiwell bag - if it is short trip - we just take the tiny backpack and clip it to his belt loop - it holds gel, strips, meter, and glucose tabs.

In the staiwell we have the following:

This is in the front main pocket:
    Glucose Tabs
    Urine Keytone Strips
    Extra vial of strips
    Extra Syringes
    Can hold site change but we don't always put it in there (quickset and serter)
    log book
    Glucagon

The back pocket is big enough for:
    2-3 juice boxes
    Calorie King Book
    Several pre-packaged Snacks
    You could probably get more in it - it has been known to carry his ds, ipod, etc. I just try not to "overpack" it. It gets heavy :rolleyes:

There is a really small zipper pocket on the front and it will hold my cell and car keys and if you have a small wallet it could also hold drivers license and money when needed.

I love this bag - it definitely looks like a backpack. For my son, we had a hard time finding something that would hold things nicely and keep it organized. I like having loops for glucagon, strip vials, glucose tabs, keytone strips, etc. It also is not girly at all - not to say that a girl woudln't carry it but it is just a plain durable bag. The front does zip open so that the front flap can lay down but is not anything like the bags you get from 50/50 if that is what you are referring too.

I was hesitant regarding the cost too - but I had already spent over $40+ on bags he didn't like or refused to carry because they were too girly! It is a nice bag.