- advertisement -

SSI insurance

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylee's Mom, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

My mother-in-law had a friend here for a few days. Her daughter is also type 1 since she was 12. She is now 21. She was saying how I should apply for ssi insurance for Kaylee .. she did her daughter and she fought for 3 years to get it. It does not really feel right ... I do not consider D to be a disability. But her point of Kaylee may not be able to always afford her supplies certainly hits home. We do not have insurance right now and I hope Kaylee never has to worry about paying for her insulin. What would any of you do?

Crystal

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it boarders on fraud to apply for SSI for a D kid.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I was told to apply for SSI by a social worker, and a person at the department of health and human services.. but I never done it.

Its one of those things that people feel strongly about in either direction.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Not on your life. Our kids don't qualify.

5. Kaylee's Mom

That is how I feel .. that it is not right and they do not qualify and the woman just kept insisting any child with a child with chronic illness qualifies. I did not really say anything to her since she fought for her daughter to have it and I did not want to offend her.

Crystal

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I got told by a social worker who's a family member that diabetes alone doesn't qualify people for SSI but is considered as a factor that in addition with something else that might not be quite enough to qualify a person for SSI, tips it so that they qualify.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

This is my understanding also. Ali

8. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Why?
    Someone in the JDRF thread mentioned that she got it for her D kid.
    Why would it be fraud?

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Well, just because, "someone" got it doesn't mean that it's either in sync with the letter or the intent of the law. Yes, could I exaggerate and basically lie about the extent to which my kid's D is debilitating, but since Type 1 isn't covered I'd have to spin the definition of disability and I think that would be dishonest.

10. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

My opinion is do what is right for your family no one knows your situation like you do. I always say listen to your gut it will tell you what you need to do and dont worry about what anyone says or thinks just do what is right for you and yours:)

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Social Security Law is pretty specific about what a person with diabetes would need to have in order to qualify for SSI. For a child the qualification requirements are much more lax than they are for an adult. Saying this, while this person may have qualified as a child doesn't mean they will qualify as an adult.
    Also they look at the parent's or parents' income. My Nephew definitely qualifies for SSI but his parents make too much money and so he doesn't get SSI. Now when he reaches certain age he will qualify for SSI and his parents' income will not be a factor.
    Also they will insist that this person be reevaluated every year or so to see if they still qualify. It is not a sure thing and the decision can be reversed.

12. Kaylee's Mom

Well the woman who got it for her daughter asked me how sick Kaylee has been with D. She said her daughter has been in DKA 7 times and at 21 is already having heart issues and kidney damage :eek: She said it was all because of puberty ...

Crystal

13. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

:(
    How sad. I imagine we will apply for Jackson to have SSI as he gets older. I hope we won't have to, and it won't be because of D, but his other issues. Unless something really changes he won't be able to hold a job. I hope something really changes. I would much prefer him to be a "normal" fully functioning adult.

14. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Maybe that's why she qualified for SSI- because she was having recurrent episodes of DKA, and possibly fatigue due to heart disease. That means that your child is not in the same situation.

If I had kidney failure or even stage 4 kidney disease, or if I had heart disease that was making me exhausted, I would consider that a much bigger reason to apply for SSI than merely having diabetes.

I think puberty is just a convenient thing to blame here.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

To get SSI you have to be both disabled and met income requirement. it's basically a federal welfare program for the disabled. the state then automatically gives you medicaid. D alone will never qualify you. You have to show that you cannot be gainfully employed (or participate in normal child activities) due to a dis. that will last at least one yr or result in death. D complications might qualify, but d alone won't.

So don't sweat b/c they will turn you down flat.

That said, there is nothing fraudulent about applying honestly, giving truthful repsonses to all their questions, and seeing if you quilify. SSA knows the law way better than you so if they review your medical and financial records and say yes you qualify then there is nothing at all wrong with accepting the help they offer. Fraud is when you twist your anwers just so you can qualify.

I personally NEVER want to qualify for such a program and do everything I can everyday to ensure dd doesn't suffer such d complications.

16. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

VERY WELL said !! :)

17. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I have read that the SSA will only consider a diabetic eligible is if the Diabetes isn't well controlled.

I can see them considering someone who has been DKA 7 times and kidney problems etc.

18. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh has 3 different "insurances". We have Anthem through DH work. We also qualify for medicaid, and she's on BCMH (bureau for children with medical handicaps). Diabetes is listed as a medical handicap.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Only I think it's obvious that no one could apply honestly and truthfully and qualify. So in my book getting SSI for a D kid would require misrepresenting the impact of D and would require dishonesty and lies.

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I don't know what other d complications other ppl's children have, or how often they miss school to manage D, or whether they have a 504 in place at their school or a school nurse or someone to help manage d during the day, or if their after school activities are limited or if they can't get daycare b/c they have no one to manage d. If you answer honestly and SSA approves you then I'll leave that between you and the gov't and you have my sympathies.